1/48 - Sukhoi Su-9 (1946) resin with 3D printed parts kit by Komar Models - released

Homebee

Komar Models from Moscovia has just released a 1/48th Sukhoi Su-9 (1946) resin with 3D printed parts kit - ref. 1148

Source: https://leib-company.ru/voennye-samolety/29079-komar-models-1148-sbornaya-model-samoleta-sukhoj-9-pervyj-1946g-1-48.html

f-Jy-Xe-Hk1-Vc.jpg

K1.png

K2.png

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Sukhoi Su-9 (1946) resin with 3D printed parts kit by Komar Models - released
33 minutes ago, GTX said:

Pity the kit comes from Russia.  Not buying from there until they cease invasion of Ukraine.

Yep, same here. Even though this kit looks beautiful.

Some days ago I was really tempted to buy a kit from a different company, but not only are they located in Russia, but they also have incorporated a big "Z" in their logo recently. Sorry, but no...

Christian

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ChristianK said:

Yep, same here. Even though this kit looks beautiful.

Some days ago I was really tempted to buy a kit from a different company, but not only are they located in Russia, but they also have incorporated a big "Z" in their logo recently. Sorry, but no...

Christian

Doesn’t seem to be Zvezda. Their website looks normal anyway.

I don’t think it’s Quinta Studio either.

And it’s not Arma Models Russia

And it’s not Ark Models

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Harold55 said:

Well, I would probably buy it if I could get it.  They need to work on getting a distributor that will help them sell into the US.  If they can point me there I am in for one.

Yes, I also would buy it, if it was sold in the U.S. The problem with some of these kits, is the distribution.   There's a Czech company that makes 1/48 scale resin kits, but it's not easy ordering from them.

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

I was able to obtain a kit of this Su-9K, I do have to say it is quite well done.  3d printing, seems to be the way of the future for some models.

If folks are interested, I can do a review of the kit.

• Like 3

Ok to start.  

The box is plain, black and white printed picture of the Su-9K on it.  Not really a collector’s item in of itself, like some of the artwork from other companies.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box is that there was no sprue tree.

This being a 3D printed model there were no parts to cut off the sprue. The resin that they used is grey in colour,

and the scribed panel lines, rivets is very much in evidence. Very detailed fuselage !

All the parts are in individual plastic - cellophane bags.  The instruction sheet,

if you can call it that, has the parts divided by what they are for. It is in colour, so you can use that for painting reference.

Landing gear parts are all in 1 bag, canopy parts are in another, cabin interior still in another, etc..

The instruction sheet (above) shows how they are divided.  We are used to having instructions in a linear time line for construction, here you can do them separately

and then combine all the parts as you go along.

I have to digress for a moment, the gun parts are a resin casting, from what i can tell, it is of a different colour then the rest, and even feels different to the touch. 

The guns are quite detailed, as all the parts are.

The jet engine is a partial casting of the full engine, just the forward half, and is a separate boxed part, I think someone else did this for them.

I would have liked to have seen the complete engine, that can be made into a separate display. I'm not sure if it was 3d printed or a resin casting. 

But whatever it is, it is very detailed !  You can actually paint the tubes and cables for the most part all the way around (carefully).

Ok to be continued..

• Thanks 1

The one thing i did not mention in my previous post is that besides the instruction sheet, there is also a parts list.  This is something that I needed to use, . I am going to start work on this kit soon.  But for now I'm just posting a quick review of the kit.   As you can see there is 60 parts to this kit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The one thing i think they could have done differently is make the rivets a bit smaller.  All the pictures that i have seen of the Su-9k shows that the rivets are barely visible.  This could be the quality of the picture, but if i was a 1/48 scale person. I would be able to put my finger into the rivet.  This is a minor thing, that just the primer spray paint would likely fill in partially.

spacer.png

The interior of the fuselage is fairly well divided with bracing for the parts (cockpit, guns etc..).. I did not see anything that would cause problems in building up the interior.

But I will go into more detail on this as I build the a/c.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Thanks for posting pictures of the parts and a brief explanation of what we are looking at.  This really does look like a great kit.  I think the 1/2 detailed engine would allow you to open a panel to show it off but still proved for its support.  Would be nice to have the full engine.  But my understanding is the RD-10 is a copy of the Jumo 004 used by Germany so that might work as an equivalent for display.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

But my understanding is the RD-10 is a copy of the Jumo 004 used by Germany so that might work as an equivalent for display.

To be honest this is not even a copy, these are literally the same German engines produced after the war in the original factory by German workers. Later the tooling and personnel were shipped off to the USSR. Therefore, as you wrote, any Jumo 004 kit will fit.

Piotr, don't forget, the Czech's also were making them as well  ( https://www.autoevolution.com/news/avia-s-92-the-world-s-first-german-jet-fighter-reborn-in-czechoslovakia-208542.html )   So the engineers / technicians were very well trained in maintaining them.

Here is a pic of the partial RD-10 engine that comes with the kit. I'll put a couple more tomorrow so that you can see all the tubes / wires that are on there..

spacer.png

And another one.. as you can see the tubing, wiring etc.. are all raised.. much easier to paint .. hhmmm maybe not LOL!!!  these pics are very highly enlarged.

in reality, with a spray of primer.. and then "metal" paint (of your choosing).. you don't see the striations..

spacer.png

6 hours ago, nedburt said:

Piotr, don't forget, the Czech's also were making them as well.

Yes, that's true, at CKD at Prague. But in the case of the RD-10 engines for the Su-9, I'm nearly 100% sure that the engines fitted were Jumo 004B made at the Junkers plant in Dessau, Germany.

6 hours ago, nedburt said:

I might as well show them now.

spacer.png

Indeed, painting this will require patience, but the result will be fantastic.

Ok to the cockpit.  I have not counted all the parts that go into it, but I can tell you that there are quite a few of them.  Parts like the seat stirrups, handles are very small and delicate.

I broke one off (part # 11) just by looking at it the wrong way.. and now I can not find it anywhere.

spacer.png

The one thing I recommend is a very sharp blade ( I use exact blades) It was not hard to cut off the parts from the "3d printed block" but the sharp edge of the blade ensure a clean cut.

The control panel has a good number of dials.. and from what I can see matches the real one fairly close. spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1