DH Vampire bomb carrier

YK GOH

Have seen photos of 60 Sqn Vampires loaded with bombs during the Malayan Emergency.

Found this close up of the pylon.

Wing hardpoint_cropped_a

None of the 1/48 Vampire kits from Airfix, Hobby Craft nor Classic Airframes has this pylon.

Looks easy to scratch build but would there be any drawings or aftermarket parts available for this pylon?

YK

I'm afraid I can't help you with your request but it is interesting to note that this photo is of a T.11.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 6:18 AM, YK GOH said:

Have seen photos of 60 Sqn Vampires loaded with bombs during the Malayan Emergency.

Found this close up of the pylon.

Wing hardpoint_cropped_a

None of the 1/48 Vampire kits from Airfix, Hobby Craft nor Classic Airframes has this pylon.

Looks easy to scratch build but would there be any drawings or aftermarket parts available for this pylon?

YK

To be pedantic, that's not actually a pylon. Its a bomb carrier with an aerodynamic fairing around it.

Selwyn

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Having failed to find any information on the dimensions of the bomb carrier for the Vampire, I was pleased to see a posting by @canberra kid in this thread which included a side view of the Vampire with bomb carrier attached.

Vampire weapons loads? - Aircraft Cold War - Britmodeller.com

I know it will not be accurate, but it gives some idea of the estimated length of the bomb carrier to 29mm in 1/48 scale.

Bomb carrier Mod

Using the photo and drawing as a reference, I decided to use the kit's droptank upper halves to modify it into a bomb carrier. Main reason is I want the contour of the mating surface with the lower wing and location pins intact.

The first task is to cut off the drop tank from its pylon.

53422239010_a00e56e66e.jpg

Then the following steps to reshape it to the likeliness of the bomb carrier.

53421775016_f28c652623_c.jpg

I took the sway brace (aka crutch assembly) part from the Trumpeter Wyvern kit to integrate with the bomb carrier.

53422201130_d78ee18b8a.jpg

Guess this will do for now until Airfix decides to include the bomb carrier in future releases, or the aftermarket manufacturers will take it up.

I also realised that the 2-tier rockets in the Trumpeter Wyvern kit can also be used for the Vampire. 

That solved the loadout for the Vampire during the Malayan Emergency.

Note: I have corrected the title of this thread from DH Vampire Pylon to DH Bomb Carrier as advised by @Selwyn.

YK

Edited by YK GOH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• YK GOH changed the title to DH Vampire bomb carrier
On 7/30/2023 at 9:29 AM, Selwyn said:

To be pedantic, that's not actually a pylon. Its a bomb carrier with an aerodynamic fairing around it.

Selwyn

being even more pedantic, isn't that what all pylons are ?!!!

Scoots

Happy Days

2 hours ago, Plumber said:

being even more pedantic, isn't that what all pylons are ?!!!

Scoots

Happy Days

No actually.

A Pylon is a load carrying device  attached directly to an aircraft, the carrier (release unit) is then installed into to the pylon. 

On Vampire the carrier is attached directly to the aircraft, and the fairing is added around it for aerodynamic reasons.:bleh:

Selwyn

• Like 2