Steam Drifter

Sounds like a movie title. I'm hoping to find plans of an early 20th century steam drifter. Cornwall model boats have a couple, but at rather large scale - 44" Hull. Bit large for the local print shop to reduce. Thought I'd have a go after looking at Neomega's rather nice, but expensive resin kit. It's a waterline which doesn't really suit a more 'active' sea base. Ideas anyone? :)

Fraser

Thank you! I wasn't aware that Lambert had done a book on them - If it's anything like his coastalforces books, it'll be brilliant. I'm hoping to do a civvie version, straight out fishing boat. The Steam Trawlers book is really tempting as well. Can't afford them both at the moment so it's probably going to be a coin toss :)

Thanks again,

Fraser

Hi Fraser

I think I might have everything you need

Wooden steam drifter Formidable built 1917. 88' oa. x  19' beam

Is this what your thinking

Plans, magazine articles. and the excellent "From tree to Sea" by Ted Frost illustrated book of his building Formidable

Let me know what you think 

Kev

ps what scale are you thinking?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Hi Fraser

I think I might have everything you need

Wooden steam drifter Formidable built 1917. 88' oa. x  19' beam

Is this what your thinking

Plans, magazine articles. and the excellent "From tree to Sea" by Ted Frost illustrated book of his building Formidable

Let me know what you think 

Kev

ps what scale are you thinking?

It is indeed! Just ordered a copy of British Steam Trawlers by David Smith. I'm thinking small, 1/96, same as my Scottish Maid - makes a nice sized model... PM me with a price, mate, and  thank you so much!

3 hours ago, foeth said:

Also:

Aberdeen Built Ships: Steam Trawlers

(Needed to refind the link; downloaded a few couple of years back and preview quality was markedly better than it is now...)

Who knew? Interesting as Aberdeen links to Scottish maid... A lot of beautiful drawings but they forgot lines :)

• 2 weeks later...

Longshanks (kevin) kindly lent  me a book and plans. Got the plans reduced and then reduced them further to 1/96th scale which seemed reasonable, but when I really studied the subject I realised it was beyond my ageing abilities. Sent back the material with thanks, and then discovered today that Kevin had died. As, so many here, I will miss him. RIP Longshanks.

• Like 1