Spraying Microscale Liquid Decal Film

Shane

Has anyone tried to spray Microscale Liquid Decal Film through an airbrush?

I've used it often to save older or fragile decals and applied it with a soft brush, but would like to try spraying it.

So a second question is - what did you thin it with, if at all?

And a third question - what did you use to clean your airbrush?

I have a good selection of cheap airbrushes that I wouldn't be too worried about ruining, so it's not critical!

Thanks in advance

S

I have to wonder why Shane but each to there own. ;) :D When I've brushed it on, I use Meths to clean the brush up, turps or water don't touch it so I reckon an alcohol product, Meths. IPA etc would be a good place to start.

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I have to wonder why Shane but each to there own. ;) :D When I've brushed it on, I use Meths to clean the brush up, turps or water don't touch it so I reckon an alcohol product, Meths. IPA etc would be a good place to start.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I fairly frequently print my own decals on ink-jet paper with my totally un-fancy printer. The results have always pleased me so long as I had a spray can of Testors decal sealant spray to protect the fragile inks. Unfortunately brushing MLDF over them tends to dissolve to inks, however long they've had to dry. Spraying other clear coats as a sealant has also been a fail, either because they damage the decal, or because the decal then becomes impervious to any decal set/sol known to man or beast. The MLDF is designed for the job, and just works.

I'll give metho a go. In a cheap Philippines made  $10 airbrush.

Shane

(BTW, acrylic thinners with ethanol base don't work all that well for cleaning a traditional bristled brush either. Meths has methanol and ethanol, which may be  the winner)

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

I fairly frequently print my own decals on ink-jet paper with my totally un-fancy printer. The results have always pleased me so long as I had a spray can of Testors decal sealant spray to protect the fragile inks. Unfortunately brushing MLDF over them tends to dissolve to inks, however long they've had to dry. Spraying other clear coats as a sealant has also been a fail, either because they damage the decal, or because the decal then becomes impervious to any decal set/sol known to man or beast. The MLDF is designed for the job, and just works.

That makes perfect sense, sorry for doubting your motives. I've not got into decals as yet but come the day, have assumed I'd be able to find a suitable acrylic spray can, maybe not. :unsure:

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, bmwh548 said:

I use it exclusively through the airbrush for my homemade decals. Heavily diluted with IPA, 0.4mm nozzle. Works fine.

Just blew some through an Iwata Neo 0.4mm nozzle metho without a problem. I need a new bottle of IPA and I'll try that too. Problem solved, thanks to all.