18 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I was very bored with easy routine modelling where I knew at the start exactly how I'd be building right to the end of a model.

How familiar it is to me! 👍

• Like 2

We sometimes forget that these ships were the height of high tech at the time. They were the most powerful and sophisticated war machines that had ever been built. The 74s were the best of the best and prevented a threatened invasion of Britain by a powerful totalitarian European state. Does anyone else see the Spitfire analogy there?

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Tell me, did you take the shortcut that I added to the first post or did you plough through all those philosophical meanderings on pages 1 and 2?

Yes indeedy.... :)

• Like 1

Umm not sure? Just read the whole thread to date. Anyway...Long time ago I built a large Baltimore clipper, used a lot of hide glue and read that one way to caulk a deck  was to add black powder paint to the hide glue when you stick down the deck planks it squidges up between the planks and any excess is scrapped off. I used the thin black paper that used to wrap photo paper in them far off days. Made a stack of planks, and if I remember rightly spread glue very thinly on the paper, let it get tacky and stuck the plank edges to it...separating when dry with a scalpel. I had found that paint or, worse, ink would soak in.

• Thanks 1

Have you thought of artist's colouring pencils to represent caulking?

I bought a set of 24 various colours several years ago from W H Smith. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, not for the amount of caulking your going to be doing. 

They can be blended and shaved like a hard pastel (which is another thought for caulking)

I've used them on 1/35 truck beds and was pleased with the result (although there was some more 'gunk' applied over it).

Tom

• Thanks 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to A Five Year Project? - HMS Bellerophon (1786) "Billy Ruffian"

May I suggest a dark brown or dark grey rather than black. The photo paper wasn't  subtle...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seadog said:

May I suggest a dark brown or dark grey rather than black. The photo paper wasn't  subtle...

Agreed. I almost never use either full black or white on a model. I allow for 150 scale feet of atmosphere between the observer and the observed. 

• Like 2

My research continues, taking far more of my time at the moment than any actual building. This makes sense of course, I have often built a model before reading the reference books I bought for it, which isn't best practice!

Today I found this you tube video.

It's half an hour long but I enjoyed every moment. The 3D modelling was invaluable in giving me a 'feeling' for the shape and functioning of the ship. There wasn't much that I hadn't already been aware of but this video helped me understand the machine as a whole.

There are a few errors and I was impressed by the way the video producers not only state this in the written information but invite corrections in a pinned thread in the comments. 

I'm also linking to this  training video which explains how to work a square rigger used as a sail training ship in Norway. This one is a bit more complex but you may find it useful. 

It was made some time ago to judge from the music, dress, and aspect ratio but I think it's a very clear description of sail handling. 

• Like 4

Hi Bertie, greetings from across the ocean.  I’m new to this site but immediately gravitated to your log (yes I read from beginning to end) as I’m got a wooden build under my belt (a simple yacht - but yet to tackle the rigging).  You are making great progress.    If you google “simple hull planking techniques” you will find some material that helped me with my build. There is also a planking fan available on modelshipworld that was quite useful to me as a guide for tapering planks.    I’ve found with larger builds that treating each component (even each plank) as a mini project is one way to stay motivated as these ships are long term endeavours!  Scott

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Ensign said:

Hi Bertie, greetings from across the ocean.  I’m new to this site but immediately gravitated to your log (yes I read from beginning to end) as I’m got a wooden build under my belt (a simple yacht - but yet to tackle the rigging).  You are making great progress.    If you google “simple hull planking techniques” you will find some material that helped me with my build. There is also a planking fan available on modelshipworld that was quite useful to me as a guide for tapering planks.    I’ve found with larger builds that treating each component (even each plank) as a mini project is one way to stay motivated as these ships are long term endeavours!  Scott

Hello Scott. First of all, welcome to Britmodeler! And welcome aboard this thread. I hope you will choose to follow it.

Thanks for your suggestions. A planking fan is something I've never heard of before, I'll look into that.

There are as many planking techniques as plankers I think. I'm still working out my own style but HMS Beagle taught me a lot and I'm quite confident about planking Bellerophon. I think the most important thing I've learned is not to worry too much about the first planking (and whatever else might be underneath the top layer). As long as the shape is right, who cares what it looks like? I'll save my full attention to detail for the visible top layer. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Today I found this you tube video.

Absolutely fascinating.  I had two short spells serving in HMS VICTORY early on in my naval career and learnt things from that video that I had not come across whilst on board.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Thanks for your suggestions. A planking fan is something I've never heard of before, I'll look into that.

There are as many planking techniques as plankers I think. I'm still working out my own style but HMS Beagle taught me a lot and I'm quite confident about planking Bellerophon. I think the most important thing I've learned is not to worry too much about the first planking (and whatever else might be underneath the top layer). As long as the shape is right, who cares what it looks like? I'll save my full attention to detail for the visible top layer. 

New to me too. There are a bunch of planking pdfs on this page https://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Absolutely fascinating.  I had two short spells serving in HMS VICTORY early on in my naval career and learnt things from that video that I had not come across whilst on board.

The teaching power of the 3D visualisation is immense compared to the more conventional movie. I watched the movie first and learnt about the mizzen sail rigging going forward instead of aft like the fire and main. I was looking for that on the visualization and noticed that they fudged it. I guess they were unclear about it in their minds. 

From the notes to the Norwegian video: "5000 meters of rope end in 300 coils on deck. Each has a specific purpose. Can you learn them all?" 

Can I rig them all????

• Like 2

Bertie, think less about deadlines and the future, it will make you depressed. No one knows the future. Enjoy building here and now! 😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Bertie, think less about deadlines and the future, it will make you depressed. No one knows the future. Enjoy building here and now! 😀

Thanks Dmitriy, you have given me permission to sit in the sunshine and drink wine with my friends later today. 😁

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷 💤

However, this morning is carpentry time!

🪚   🔨 🪚   🔨  🪚   🔨  🪚   🔨  🪚   🔨  🪚   🔨  🪚   🩹 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2