Death of Ryuichi Sakamoto

BIG X

Sadly - news of the death of Ryuichi Sakamoto is just breaking.  He was well known for his work with Yellow Magic Orchestra & David Sylvian of Japan.  His work in film was also well known - especially from the movie - Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.  Rest in piece sir.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Sadly - news of the death of Ryuichi Sakamoto is just breaking.  He was well known for his work with Yellow Magic Orchestra & David Sylvian of Japan.  His work in film was also well known - especially from the movie - Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.  Rest in piece sir.

Incredibly sad news, but I was wondering how he was. He's followed in the footsteps of Yukihiro Takahashi. Had been in a really bad way for a while now. I have effectively been following Sakamoto, YMO, & everything the other members have done, for years. Even though I had known he was really unwell,  this is still a shock.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/02/ryuichi-sakamoto-japanese-pop-pioneer-and-oscar-winning-composer-dies-aged-71

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike said:

Saw that last night.  Sad news.  He used to do stuff with David Sylvian too.

Ha Ha - I "knew" you would be a fan of Japan :lol:  Good man!!!

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Thomas Dolby too.  Loved his early work :)

I have to admit to being a big Thomas Dolby fan too - "The Golden Age of Wireless" is a classic.

I also love both Japan & David Sylvian's work in equal measure.  My favourite Sylvian albums are Brilliant Trees & the Secrets of The Beehive - a very talented man.  I saw him live a few years back at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester - a wonderful evening.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 4:35 PM, BIG X said:

I have to admit to being a big Thomas Dolby fan too - "The Golden Age of Wireless" is a classic.

I also love both Japan & David Sylvian's work in equal measure.  My favourite Sylvian albums are Brilliant Trees & the Secrets of The Beehive - a very talented man.  I saw him live a few years back at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester - a wonderful evening.

TGAOW was & still is one of my all time favourite albums. Still discovering new aspects of that album even now. There's a submarine, airport, plane crash, radio Caroline, Shingle street & pirate twins. A bit like a musical comic strip.

• Like 1