1/72 DC-3 "Skyliner" from the Airfix C-47 kit

On 9/7/2023 at 4:10 PM, kapam said:

Awesome work on the (new) DC-3!

I’m an even bigger fan of F-27’s and yours looks superb!

I’m thinking it’s from the Airfix kit (rather than ESCI/Italeri), but correct me on that if I am mistaken.

Both models look terrific anyway.

👏👏👏

Thanks, The F.27 is actually a very modified Italeri model. I dropped the rear fuselage 6mm to improve the overall shape, deepened the fuselage by adding 0.8mm strip along the bottom and incorporated the chine line thats at floor level but not actually molded by either Esci/Italeri or Airfix. I also re-shaped the engine nacelles to better reflect the actual aircraft. 

53173863245_82a637c098_k.jpgf27 mod by Harry Follas, on Flickr

53173617964_00dfd1fcdb_k.jpgIMG_7755 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

I've since built a modified airfix F.27 as an original non-radar nose aircraft delivered to NAC, it makes an interesting shape comparison :) 

53172812092_c0f36a1520_k.jpgIMG_7754 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

53020793213_ce3c1ffcfa_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr 

Edited by follasha
  • Like 4

On 9/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, follasha said:

The F.27 is actually a very modified Italeri model.

Your F-27 (ZK-BXI) is astonishingly good!

When I look at your photos I am transported back to my young days, whenever we at our local airport (except a different airline to NAC).

That means you have the classic F-27 shape perfectly replicated.

It's a lot of work (I think) but you nailed it.  👏👏

• Thanks 1

That's really impressive work on your part, getting the Italeri / Esci kit to actually look almost perfect!!!!   Did you widen the fuselage cross-section, too?  I should think that it would be done along the bottom of the fuselage in order to impart the pear-shape of the real thing.  The Italeri/Esci kit's engines are hopeless.  They look like sausages in the front, and are way too small aft of the wing.  You've got them looking like the Darts they really are, and that's a work of craftsmanship worthy of great praise.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's really impressive work on your part, getting the Italeri / Esci kit to actually look almost perfect!!!!   Did you widen the fuselage cross-section, too?  I should think that it would be done along the bottom of the fuselage in order to impart the pear-shape of the real thing.  The Italeri/Esci kit's engines are hopeless.  They look like sausages in the front, and are way too small aft of the wing.  You've got them looking like the Darts they really are, and that's a work of craftsmanship worthy of great praise.  

Thanks for  all the positive  praise :)

Yes, I didn't but should've widened the fuselage as well like you suggested, that's one of my post-build regrets about building this model...maybe I'll do it next time, or perhaps somebody will come along with an updated more realistic Friendship offering 😆

• Like 1