New tape for canopy masking

BleedingBlue

Trying to cut canopy masks with masking tape is a pain because it is opaque.  There are several techniques out there to make it easier, but I think I have found something better.  I have use heat resistant tape on my last couple builds and have been very pleased with the results.  I am a watch collector, and and bought the tape to protect areas when refinishing watch bracelets.  The tape is an a transparent amber yellow, thin, and fairly stretchable.  Being transparent it makes it very easy to trim.  It also seals very well from airbrushing water based acrylics and future (no idea about other paints).  It also removes easily with no residue and the lines are very clean.  You can get a roll for less than $10.  Hope this helps some of you, who, like me, struggle with masking canopies with masking tape.

Link to tape on Amazon.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjBgIyas4T1AhUO7OMHHf5FDKAYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&sig=AOD64_2UBOEDMuGHKPGHk9eZAPTtVhC6ug&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQgIKas4T1AhWQlIkEHfJEAmQQ9aACegQIARBY&adurl=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kapton tape. It's used for electrical insulation. I have a roll of that very stuff for modeling, particularly for its nonstick top surface. Somebody here on BM recommended it to back up side windows to be filled with clear glue. It's impervious to clear UV glue.

33 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Kapton tape. It's used for electrical insulation. I have a roll of that very stuff for modeling, particularly for its nonstick top surface. Somebody here on BM recommended it to back up side windows to be filled with clear glue. It's impervious to clear UV glue.

Generally, the UK MoD has attempted to purge Kapton insulation from its aircraft wiring, it's easily damaged and has resulted in some serious aircraft fires (I think at least one Harrier GR.5 was lost and another damaged).  What I'm saying is I wouldn't use it as insulation tape even though that's what it is.  It may well do the trick for masking though and is probably worth using for that application.

8 minutes ago, Wez said:

Generally, the UK MoD has attempted to purge Kapton insulation from its aircraft wiring, it's easily damaged and has resulted in some serious aircraft fires (I think at least one Harrier GR.5 was lost and another damaged).  What I'm saying is I wouldn't use it as insulation tape even though that's what it is.  It may well do the trick for masking though and is probably worth using for that application.

Probably an air worthiness issue. It's used in consumer and COTS electronics.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I used Kapton tape several times in my work but didn't realize the potential for masking, a pity as for a while I had plenty at hand. Not a problem now since it's easily available (wasn't so in those days), will sure give this a try

Strange that, I'm always wondering whether a product we use at work has or could have a modelling application.

10 minutes ago, Wez said:

Strange that, I'm always wondering whether a product we use at work has or could have a modelling application.

I do the same and over the years I've used a lot of work related stuff for the hobby, for some reason however I never considered the potential uses of the Kapton tape. Guess I was not paying the due attention in those days 🤣