Dornier 17z F1+HH nose art bomb colour

Radpoe Spitfire

Hello folks,

Now I have the ICM 1/48 Do17z, I also have the Owl decals for KG 76's F1+HH.  This aircraft's nose art depicts the devil depositing a bomb from his butt. I believe this is also the aircraft which came down on Victoria Station after Sgt Ray Holmes severed the tail plane with his wing tip.

My question is what is the correct colour for the bomb please?

I have done the 1/72 scale Revell kit, which depicts the bomb as silver, but the Owl decals depiction is black.

Can anyone please confirm which is correct?

Many thanks, Adrian

Hello Adrian

Take a look at this photo:

Do17_Z_France.jpg

True, parts of the nose art cannot be seen. However, if the bomb was silver, at least parts of its fins would probably stand out on the photo.

By the way, I always thought that this particular nose art had been painted on F1+HH only. However, the photo above shows thi aircraft involved in not so minor accident. So, either the aircraft had been repared, or another Do 17 crashed on Victoria station. Cheers

Jure

Thank you Jure, I agree that you would expect to see a hint of a silver bomb fin. I'd be surprised if more than one Dornier wore this artwork, but much of the info I find on the internet say that F1+HH is the one which came down on Victoria station. I'll get looking it up again👍👍

Hello Adrian

Back at my sources again: apparently, red devil was a 1./KG 76 emblem. In Manfred Griehl's book Dornier Do 17E-Z Do 215 (AirDoc) there is a photo of Do 17 Z F1+HH and another one of F1+FH. Both planes are decorated with the red devil nose art. While the colour of the bomb on the former seems to be darker than a colour of the revolver the devil is holding (my guess would be red), on the latter the bomb seems to be either white or silver. I could not find photos on the web, but PM me if you want them sent over to you. Cheers

Jure

• 1 year later...

The Luftwaffe Im Focus series has a photo of one if these aircraft with this nose art.  Its a color photo, and the bomb is in RED.

I also am putting these owl decals on an icm 1/48 do17z, so this was new info i found to share.  I have to paint the decal bomb red!

The LIF book indicates many aircraft carried this nose art.

Edited by Tokyo Raider

If you don't know, and it appears nobody else knows for sure, why not go with silver as on the decal ?

It seems highly plausible to me that the various 1/KG70 aircraft that carried this emblem could have had a variety of bomb colours, depending on the whim of the artist, paints available, crew preference.

If you paint it red only to later discover it was green or purple (unlikely) or white or even silver ....

FFH

Gents,

The aircraft that was shot down on 15 September 1940 and crashed into London's Victoria Station was Do 17 Z-1 "F1+we.FH" WNr.2361 of 1./KG 76. The two photos of it taken prior to its loss show that it did not have the devil insignia. However, photos of its sister aircraft "F1+we.HH" does show that this marking was applied to this machine.

Best,

David

• 3 months later...