Zimbabwe paint colours / FS equivalents HELP needed please

jenko

Hi guys,

I've started doing a Zimbabwe  Hawk....... 

The colours quoted are:-

Green   ICI 407-1913

Brown  ICI 407-1914

What are these colours in lay mans terms eg. FS, Humbrol, Tamiya, Xtra colour etc.

I have look every where and cannot find an answer so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dick 

Using Model Alliance decals?

Can't quite decode the online picture that states the colours but it looks like Hu149 and Hu186 are close to the stated colours.

Edited by Nebbor
pressed submit too early

8 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Using Model Alliance decals?

Can't quite decode the online picture that states the colours but it looks like Hu149 and Hu186 are close to the stated colours.

Yes I am. Thanks for  the info.

Dick

25 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

So why do you need the paint equivalents if they are shown in the Model Alliance instructions?spacer.png

Is that the 1/72 ?? I'm doing 1/48 and I have the book that goes with it and nothing mentions colours on the instruction sheet , the book only mentions ICI colours. I assumed (wrongly) that the 1/72 would be the same.  

I have never seen the info. you have posted before.

Thanks that has been a REAL help.

Dick

Edited by jenko

25 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

why do you need the paint equivalents if they are shown in the Model Alliance instructions?

Nice one - right in front of us the whole time! 🙄

To be fair - and maybe to play Devil's advocate - the instructions do say "near to...".

While I don't disagree that the approximation is very close, I have been in, on and around Zimbabwean Hawks and always thought the brown tone was redder than what I felt BS.381C-412 - Dark Brown - to be (to be honest, 'though, sun-affected and oil-stained paint plus bright tarmac conditions probably didn't help my perception).

As for the green...

800px-XZ192_-H_Westland_WG-13_Lynx_AH7_(

Portrush-09-British-Army-5th-Regt-665Sqn

47-3.jpg

41-4.jpg

43-1.jpg

These threads have an interesting take on ICI colours and their relationship to some BS.381C colours. They don't mention the Zimbabwean Hawk colours, but are nonetheless an interesting bit of research and observation.

and

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matching colours is a nightmare, even for paint manufacturers. Just try 5 different brands for e.g. FS34079 and you get 5 different colours. Or even 1 colour from 1 manufacturer: I have 3 tins of Xtracolor X123 that all show a different result when sprayed. Go figure...

• Sad 1

Thanks guys. Really interesting.

41-4.jpg

Now that does look mucky and worn. The Hunter next to it looks almost pristine.  

This is a bit like trying to sort out American FAA colours (Du Pont). Which causes many a "discussion" when displayed at a model show. ( Some of us on here are old enough to remember what they were :analintruder: )

Well; you've helped me get it sorted. I'll do the model as if it's a museum piece and then let every one argue the toss.

Cheers and thanks once again

Dick

Edited by jenko

On 31/01/2021 at 15:13, jenko said:

Hi guys,

I've started doing a Zimbabwe  Hawk....... 

The colours quoted are:-

Green   ICI 407-1913

Brown  ICI 407-1914

What are these colours in lay mans terms eg. FS, Humbrol, Tamiya, Xtra colour etc.

I have look every where and cannot find an answer so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dick 

Hello

I am doing the Cessna Reims 337 FTB,  70's  Era, during the Independence war from England,

when that Country was still the Southern Rhodesia.

Those Reims 337 were militarized aircraft, light armed armed and with several modifications .

Southern Rhodesia climatic conditions are severe, so camouflage paintings deteriorate rapidly as

You can see by the Hawk pics.

The Colors for that War Period in Southern Rhodesia were :

- FS-10118, DARK EARTH, BS-381 C/450, Humbrol 142 , and

- FS-14079, DARK GREEN, BS-381 C/641, Humbrol 116 .

Sincerely I do doubt that those colors have changed over all these Years, due political and economical 

situations in that beautiful Country now called  Zimbabwe.

Mario

Edited by SouthViper
pic
  • Like 2

I faced the same problem when building my ZIM hawk some years ago Lot of research about ICM codes , mails to them without answer and so on 

My interpretation  was based on many pictures (not only the one found on internet) and the help of Mike the pilot of the plane

I was building who stated the brown was slightly reddish  and a SA friend who saw them

The one in my model pic are probably a little bit to "luminous" due to the flash  Anyway I'm happy with it 

• Like 1

@ all  good freezing morning from Belgium,

@Kari    Fin markings; yes on Zim planes you have the bird at starboard and flag at port side

I think all planes were like that as I never saw any picture of a ZIM plane otherwise

@jenko and blimpyboy; the pics are from Mike Enslin , whose plane I modelled . he is the "white" pilot on pics  

Be careful : this armament with 4  twin store carriers and matra rocket pods was only for the pictuer; No Hawk flew with such a configuration

with 4 pods on outer wing station ,as it would be to heavy

The configuration on my model (2x twin store carriers +2x 2 matra pods  and 2x Pili7 missiles on outer station)

was usual as exlained in text and comments above

Darth Vador insigna on 610 was personal marking of Mike on his assigned Hawk  , but he was shot down on 604 

The brown on my model is probably not 100% accurate but the best I could do 😉

Hope  this is useful for your model 

Bob

Edited by Glidingbob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1