1/48 Seafire III - Best Option?

wellsprop

2 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi All!

Yes, I have used the Hasegawa Spitfire Vb fuselage for Seafires, only because though short, they were the best items to use at the time, and they LOOK better than the Special Hobby kits.

I have recently been gifted an Eduard Spitfire Vc which is missing many, many parts I will be using it to make a Seafire IIc or III. First, though, I have an Airfix Seafire 17 wing, and I will see how well it fits an Airfix Spitfire Vb fuselage. I have tailhooks and vinyl reinforcing plates. Both show promise on being better Seafires. I will let y'all know.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

the post up above has a link to the Seafire III I built with the Airfix Vb fuselage and Seafire XVII wings. There is a gap at the wing roots but it’s all doable. Good luck!

I see a couple of holes in the photo, into which such a spigot could/would be fitted.  It would pick up, sensibly enough, on the main fuselage frame.  So for a static aircraft on the deck, just after arrival/before removal by crane, they could be fitted, but would not be present operationally.

IIRC re sling points and catapult spools, two protruding stubs above the wing behind the cowling, and another pair at the aft end of the longeron reinforcements are for lifting and seen here, reinforced by plates.

The catapult spools are the similar protruding stubs at the bottom of the rear airframe, to the stern of the roundels on the camo demarcation. They're reinforced with several layers of kite shaped plate. There's another pair under the rear end of the wing attached to fuselage, sticking down. Can't quite remember if and which marks and modifications these existed or were added and or removable. (I suspect from the iib onwards). (Thanks to @Grey Beema

Thanks for clearing that up.  However, if you look at the model in the link above fitted with what I assumed was the MDC "spigots" they are not small stubs but something better described as spools, as fitted underneath the Sea Hurricane for its catapult pick-up points.

Without digging for the information, I think some of the "things" were made to be removable as Seafires developed, no doubt to remove drag when the items turned out not to be needed that frequently.