Centurion Mk.lll.

Bullbasket

Not too familiar with the Centurion as I'm more Sherman orientated, but I have the AFV Club Centurion Mk.V (the Aussie version) and want to build a Korean War Mk.lll. I have a resin turret for the build along with a metal 20pdr. I know that there were differences in engine deck lengths between some of the later marks, but were the Mk.lll and Mk.V the same? I know that I've got to source some bazooka shields as there are none in the kit, so basically, can the Mk.lll be built from the Mk.V kit.

TIA.

John.

Hi John,

IIRC the AFV Club kits (apart from the IDF versions) all have the same basic hull parts, I've just had a gander on Scalemates but they don't have instructions uploaded for the Korean War kit as yet, but there is a review on YouTube https://youtu.be/H-S0m40tkpI  there are shots of the instructions in the video and they show the sprue plans and the main sprues seem to be similar to the Aussie kit.

Eduard do a set of Bazooka Plates, they are designed for Tamiya kit but I've tried them against the AFV kit parts and they should fit with the minimum of fettling. I've used an Aussie kit to build a late version.

In my files, I've got a list of versions, as most of the later Mk.s were ugraded from earlier Mk's. I'll post the details when I can.

• Like 1

Hi John

Not sure if it helps but the instruction sheets for the Ace 1/72 mk iii and mk iv are on scale mates.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of bazooka shields as bought a voyager set for my Aussie one that includes them but they aren't used.

I'll check up the attic tomorrow and let you know

All the best

Ben

16 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Hi John,

IIRC the AFV Club kits (apart from the IDF versions) all have the same basic hull parts, I've just had a gander on Scalemates but they don't have instructions uploaded for the Korean War kit as yet, but there is a review on YouTube https://youtu.be/H-S0m40tkpI  there are shots of the instructions in the video and they show the sprue plans and the main sprues seem to be similar to the Aussie kit.

Eduard do a set of Bazooka Plates, they are designed for Tamiya kit but I've tried them against the AFV kit parts and they should fit with the minimum of fettling. I've used an Aussie kit to build a late version.

In my files, I've got a list of versions, as most of the later Mk.s were ugraded from earlier Mk's. I'll post the details when I can.

15 hours ago, badger said:

Hi John

Not sure if it helps but the instruction sheets for the Ace 1/72 mk iii and mk iv are on scale mates.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of bazooka shields as bought a voyager set for my Aussie one that includes them but they aren't used.

I'll check up the attic tomorrow and let you know

All the best

Ben

Ant, Ben, many thanks for your replies. It would seem as though this build has got the green light.

John.

• Like 1

@Bullbasket

Aye up John,

Have a look here as the instructions are on lime for tbe MkIII. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10614408&ved=2ahUKEwjU2sGYjLHoAhXxlFwKHUqADFEQFjADegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2nPo6ZAR-FuEoHqHSRASTs&cshid=1584983797783

Hope the link works as ive done it on my phone and its of use to you.

Stay safe mate 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Hope the link works as ive done it on my phone and its of use to you.

Stay safe mate 👍

Many thanks Steve and yes, it did work.

You too.

John.

• Thanks 1

Hi John

Just found chance to go deep stash mining in the attic and found my AFV Centurion V.

I have got some bazooka plates (no idea why Voyager included them as the Aussie ones didn't have them fitted).

You can have them for the cost of postage but I'd rather not risk a trip to the post office at the present time.

Once the lockdown passes I'd be more than happy to send them on to you if you still need them.

All the best 

Ben

• Thanks 1

Hi Ben, That's very generous of you, but at the moment I wouldn't even dream of asking you to go to a PO. I'm only at the planning stage at the moment. As the kit that I'm using didn't have the plates, I don't have any idea how they would attach to the tank. Steve (Fatfingers) has given me some links to look at of the instruction sheets of the kits, so I'm hoping that one of them will show how the plates hang.

If once this current unpleasantness is over, I haven't got to the bazooka plates stage, I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Once again, thanks.

John.

39 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Ben, That's very generous of you, but at the moment I wouldn't even dream of asking you to go to a PO. I'm only at the planning stage at the moment. As the kit that I'm using didn't have the plates, I don't have any idea how they would attach to the tank. Steve (Fatfingers) has given me some links to look at of the instruction sheets of the kits, so I'm hoping that one of them will show how the plates hang.

If once this current unpleasantness is over, I haven't got to the bazooka plates stage, I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Once again, thanks.

John.

Hi John

No worries - if it helps all the fittings are on  sprue b which I believe is common to all kits (it's the 3 large angle brackets.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35100b.htm

The AFV mk 5/2 which includes the skirts has a separate sprue that just has the 2 skirts as a single piece per side.

Hope this helps

Stay safe

Ben