1/72 - Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 RAF A06019

robc

Just taken delivery of Airfix's new boxing of their Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 kit now numbered A06019A. Includes the parts for both British Phantom variants but as expected no change to the moulds themselves are evident, however the kit does now come in the new dark grey, harder plastic Airfix have recently switched to. To my eye at least this does make the surface detail look crisper; it may be an illusion but the individual can judge. This seems to suggest that all future Airfix kits and reboxings will now use this plastic. A positive move I think.  

The decal sheet is beautifully designed and superbly printed and includes 2 RAF grey scheme Phantoms, an FG.1 and an FGR.2 ("end of box"  box-art below in this scheme), and a Royal Navy FG.1; all illustrated earlier in the thread. The designer has gone to town with the stencils which are, what shall I say, prolific... 😮

I know this is something of a "Marmite" kit, for all sorts of reasons but personally I like it and I'm looking forward to building my Frirebird sharkmouth! 🦈

Rich  

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichG said:

the new dark grey, harder plastic Airfix have recently switched to. To my eye at least this does make the surface detail look crisper; it may be an illusion but the individual can judge, but this seems to suggest that all future Airfix kits and reboxings will now use this plastic. A positive move I think.  

At last! I think that’s definitely a step in the right direction. 

On 18/09/2023 at 08:16, petetasker said:

Not my scale at all but I’m almost tempted to get one just for the box art.

l would get it just for the decal sheet.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matford said:

RichG has the box art changed again?

I thought it was already out

No, not changed @matford  that's still the main kit box art in your post. I noticed in addition the main box art, the kit box also features a second beautiful piece of artwork on the end of the box - the picture in my post. I can imagine Airfix had a dilemma deciding which one to use so went with both... But then you can never have too many Adam Tooby piccies! 🙂  

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

- ref. A06019A - McDD Phantom FG.1 & FGR.2

Sources: 

https://uk.airfix.com/products/mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-fg1fgr2-a06019a

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-172-phantom-fg1fgr2-a06019a

- FG.1, XV582/AF, Wg Cdr John Brady and Flt Lt Michael Pugh-Davis, 43(F) Squadron, RAF Leuchars, Fife. Successful air-speed record flight between Land’s End and John O’ Groats, February 24, 1988
- FGR.2, XV470/D, 56 Squadron, RAF Wattisham, Suffolk, 1991 – red vertical stabiliser and radome sharkmouth
- FG.1, XV590/R COLONIAL NAVY, 892 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Ark Royal/USS Saratoga, 1978

Phantom-box-KMW-700-0.webp

Phantom-decal-KMW-700-0.webp

V.P.

On 16/10/2023 at 12:00, RichG said:

This seems to suggest that all future Airfix kits and reboxings will now use this plastic. A positive move I think.  

Having just bought the reboxed 1/72 Harrier GR1/AV-8A, I can confirm that this does seem to be the case.

• Like 1

Quite honestly, I  like the Airfix kit having built two, both, the same scheme as I  sold one of them. Despite the panel lines which are not that bad and yes, nowhere near as refined as the Fujimi kit that is better. The biggest let down for me on the Airfix kit is the missing vents to the intake splitter plates. But hey ho I'm easily pleased.