Battle of Britain Do 215-4 1/48 ICM

Greg Law

Here is the promised image. I haven't removed the lower masking because as you can see there a few problems on the resin tail planes. I will have to do that again and use some reduced tack masking.

Also there is a bit of over spray on the nose area which I missed masking. Still it is progress.

Do 215-4 image 12

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

I like your plastic jig ,much better than my wobbly lzer cut wood one .Can i ask where did you get it Greg .

Cheers

Alistair

It is a Vertigo  miniatures  jig. Try this link. www.Vertigominiatures.com 

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Has anyone got an idea why the paint bond was weak on the resin part? I used MR Surfacer 1500 as an undercoat.

That’s looking great Greg. As to your undercoat question, that’s an odd one. I wonder if the parts has some grease or moulding residue before you applied the primer? It’s probably not that, however it seems a little strange for that to happen. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Well my evil gremlin has got out of Lockdown and has gone back to work screwing up my Dornier.  Today I almost got the tail fixed. No lifting of new paint. Then at the last second Gremlin decided to have fun by causing some inappropriate paint droplets to appear on the finished paint work. Fine I thought I will just over paint them, which I did and all was well. I brought the plane inside to remove the masking. After removing the paper towel I discovered the Gremlin had been happy painting more inappropriate graffiti on the paint work. So now I have another day of sorting it out again. 

Note to myself.  Don't remove masking towels when you know the Gremlin is at work, at least until you are sure the paint in dry.

Greg, regarding your paint adhesion issues, I’ve had similar problems. I use Alclad primer, and it seems to me that even with soapy baths, the paint just doesn’t want to stick well. Most of my resin is either exhaust or some cockpit parts. 

I wonder if Stynylrez might be the way to go, as when it cures it has a bit more flex and give than the primers we’ve used?

• Thanks 1

This is the progress today. I have fixed the tail and have painted the spotty effect on the lower surfaces. A lot of these Do 215's had this effect on them.

This was done with an airbrush. 

Do 215-4 image 14

Do 215-4 image 15

• Like 11

That underside looks really amazing Greg.. very well applied and something that takes a lot of care and patience. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The plane has now been clear coated ready for decals. I will done that tomorrow to give the Future clear coat to have two days to cure.

This is a quick prop test. I was a bit worried they might not line up properly. As you can see they do. 🙂

By the way the grainy paint finish is just the photo. The lighting wasn't the best. 

Do 215-4 image 16

• Like 6

This build is going well. Decals done. These are after market decals and were very nice to use. I heard that the kit ones had a tendency to break up. The one I tried to use did. I'm leaving some of the small ones off because they don't appear in the photos of the real plane. All I have to do now is weather the plane and add the gear. The gear might be an issue as I have left it till the end instead of putting it in when I built the gear housing.  If I had it would most likely be broken by now. Still we shall see. 

• Like 1

This is where I'm at. I decided to show the plane before I weather it. I have adjusted the pattern and painted the red line. 

When I weather it I plan to reduce the intensity of the graphic on the nose because it is a bit strong to my eye. 

It is this graphic with the Eiffel Tower that proves it is from the Battle of Britain period even though my photo in the

book is taken in the next winter. This graphic was changed later. 

Do 215-4 image 17

• Like 6

Have to admit, this stage of any build is my favourite (decals on and all glossed up). Not sure why I like this stage, however to me the model is at its cleanest before it’s usually dulled and dirtied all up.... I always like to look my best when photos are taken and so do my models! 

That’s looking lovely Greg, some nasty crosses on there, however it’s all part of the story. Nice progress. 
Cheers... Dave 

• Thanks 1

I should have it finished early next week. Just in time really. With NZ getting back to work today life is very quickly getting back to normal for me. I've gotten four new work projects in the last two days. All I can say I hope you guys manage to get your situation under control.  We have had no new cases for three days now, so this thing can be beaten. Now time will tell if we can keep it down and out. 

By the way,  it looks like the gear won't be a problem to get in. The only issue I have with it is the part location pins are missing. Seems to be a recurring issue with this kit. CA should take care of it. 

I've been a bit slow with finishing this. I have added the landing gear and doors. I've decided to keep this one quite clean because the photos I have in my book show them to be well kept in the early

part of the war. I'm also going to finish it in a semi gloss to maintain a bit of a sheen to the finish. I have fattened the tires as I think they look better that way.

I had a lot of trouble getting the gear on. as mentioned before the gear arms did not have the pins even though there were holes in the rear wall to take them. It was a matter of guess work on

how to handle it. In the end I glued them to the wall. As it turned out I didn't get them right after adding the main gear struts and had to loosen them again and cut the top arm back a bit. 

To fit the main gear struts I drilled out the seats they were to be located on. This allowed their pins to get a solid fixing. I'm not sure if that is right, but this plane appears to sit high as if it had no load, so this

helps the overall look. 

• Like 1

Well after a long build this plane is complete.  I'm very pleased with the final result.  It really does look better than I expected and has been worth all the hassles along the way. Hopefully I will get some images up on RFI tomorrow.  If the weather doesn't allow me to get good shots I will put a quick dirty one here in the morning. 

It has fought me all the way. Today I must have re-glued the gun barrels on five times. 

• Like 2

Only just caught up with this, I can’t keep up on Britmodeller anymore 😂

lovely build and great motivation to build something with crosses rather than noughts on the wings!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...