Edward 1/48 Pfalz D.IIIa Weekend

Hi All

As my stash of 1/72 practice kits is limited, I'm moving to 1/48 for a while.

This is the basic boxing, one side of assembly instructions and one scheme

DSCF8683.jpg

The cockpit opening is quite large and shows the interior

DSCF8684.jpg

However, the detail is soft

DSCF8685.jpg

DSCF8689.jpg

I laid on some plastic strip I had to give it a bit more of a 3D look

DSCF8691.jpg

And gave it a coat of Tamiya XF-76 Grey Green (IJN) mixed about 50/50 with IPA

DSCF8692.jpg

Two things of note here.

1) I used the mighty Wingnut Wings site as a reference for the colour, as they would have put in more research into this than I would ever be likely to

And

2) I thinned with IPA for the first time after watching numerous 'Tube videos. As always, it looks much easier than it probably is. Time will tell.

Anyhoo, the rest of the Eduard interior isn't that far from WnW so I'll fit it as OOB.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hi All

I've managed to paint the fiddly bits that go in the cockpit, and the engine gets an undercoat.

DSCF8696.jpg

As most of the engine is hidden, I'm not going to do anything to it other than paint.

The support for it has come out nicely woody, it's that Carmine Skin streaked with Burnt Umber, then a couple of coats of clear orange.

DSCF8700.jpg

DSCF8701.jpg

You'll notice the compass has gone from greenish to black. A sad loss swiftly replaced by some cut down sprue. Luckily Eduard supply two sets of instrument decals, however both compasses have the 'S' backwards :mental:

I'm going to leave the seat out until the body is painted as I'll only knock it off again.

Whilst trying the halves together to see if it actually fitted through the cockpit opening (it does, just), I dropped it down the tail end twice.

To give it a bit more support I added a second piece behind it.

DSCF8702.jpg

DSCF8703.jpg

It should be supported by a couple of transverse bars but this is as close as I'll get.

A touch of Micro Sol on the compass face and a smear of general grime should see it done.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Bit of a coincidence here. I've just finished one of these and have posted some pics in the Ready for Inspection thread.

I enjoyed the build and am reasonably happy with the result.

I'm impressed by what you have done so far. The interior looks great. (but not much of it will be seen on the finished model I'm afraid)

One area that I struggled with was adding the upper wing (no surprises there!) The interplane struts are moulded flat but are fitted angled so the locating pins need to be carefully bent to suit. (same for the undercarriage struts).

I added rigging to the upper wing first before attaching - does get in the way a bit but worth it I think and just make sure you have nice positive locating points for the struts in the upper wing. I didn't and struggled.

Anyway, I'll be watching with interest to see how you get on.

Cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Hi All

On 11/1/2019 at 8:27 AM, Bob_C said:

The interplane struts are moulded flat but are fitted angled so the locating pins need to be carefully bent to suit. (same for the undercarriage struts).

Hi Bob, yeah I was looking at those and wondering if I had a moulding fault, thanks for the heads up 👍. Nice build too :thumbsup:

The main fuselage seams were filled

DSCF8713.jpg

And filed

DSCF8717.jpg

And while that was drying I drilled out some more rigging holes (and bent the locating pins on the struts)

DSCF8719.jpg

Wing on next, hope it fares better than my other build :unsure:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Looking good Steve,

Just another thing that may be useful.

On the upper wing there is a radiator panel with a sliding shutter arrangement. I looked at this a few times during my build wondering how it worked, but carried on assuming it just did. But this bugged me a bit.

Yesterday I visited the RAF Museum at Hendon here in London where thay have a beautiful replica Albatross. This aircraft also uses the wing mounted radiator.

It then became clear - the radiator plumbing is missing from the Eduard kit !

Of course the radiator should have a feed and return pipe (just like a car) but these are not modelled. As you can imagine these are quite large, about 2" dia and quite prominant. (we're not talking a small hydraulic line here)

If I'm correct, and the radiator is not fed by another means, then I feel this is quit an ommision by Eduard.

Sorry i've no pics but a quick Google will show what I mean.

You might like to add these to your build, I think its a bit late for mine!

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can shed more light on this.

Thanks,

Bob.

• Thanks 1

Hi All

5 hours ago, Bob_C said:

If I'm correct, and the radiator is not fed by another means, then I feel this is quit an ommision by Eduard.

Hi Bob, yes I've been looking into that too. The kit does have locating dimples on the radiator, so perhaps the pipes are in the profipack?

DSCF8722.jpg

The pipes are on the painting guide, as are the fuel lines from the wing tank that are also neglected.

Using WnW as a guide I drilled a hole in the side where it looks like the fuel pipes enter, and have CA'd in a couple of lengths of thin wire.

DSCF8723.jpg

I'll paint it all as one and fit the ends once the top wing is on.

As regards painting, I gave the rear a blast of Stynylrez White primer.

I've had odd results from their white previously, although their grey and black perform well.

I shook it and shook it and shook it for exactly five minutes, and got this

DSCF8727.jpg

DSCF8729.jpg

It looks spotty like it's too thick, and yet runs like it's too thin?

15psi, 0.2mm from about eight inches away.

I'll let it harden and go over it with some Tamiya white.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Good spot !

I hadn't noticed the radiator pipes were shown on the painting guide. (didn't even realise the fuel pipes existed!)

If they are in the profipack would they be resin? Why not include them as injected ?

Don't get it.

Anyway, could your paint issue be due to a slightly greasy surface.

Bob

• Like 1

It's a shame Eduard seem to have had a blind spot when it comes to the radiator/water feed/return pipes for the Mercedes engines of rhese 1/48 scale German scouts.I 'm in the middle of one of their Pfalz DIII models where the pipes are absent as with your DIIIa.Fortunately, I'd just finished one of their 1/48 scale Albatros DIII kits where the problem also existed. I used some 15 amp fuse wire to mimic the compound curves needed on the Albatros which look quite realistic in this scale and will do the same with the Pfalz, Even though both the Eduard kits I started date from some time back, it's bizarre that Eduard has omitted some details that are so evident on the real thing when it comes to packaging a representative kit which otherwise seems to come together quite well with a bit of care and  bodgery. Paul

• Like 1

Hi All

On 11/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, Pauls9cb said:

with a bit of care and  bodgery.

Hi Paul, that can apply to SO many things in life  :thumbsup:

Moving on from the splotchy primer, I put on a coat of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White, mixed 50/50 with IPA.

What a wonderful way to paint!

One pass, bliss.

Looked a little stark though, so I stood a jar of XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan next to me as I sprayed on a second coat and it immediately turned a light beige.

I'll go over it with the white again once I've done the red.

On to the red, Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red.

Flat it was, but also with a pink tinge.

I put on five or six more coats (50/50 IPA again) and each one just brought out the pinkyness more.

DSCF8745.jpg

Most odd, but I suddenly twigged what shading was all about, as each coat still partially revealed the previous coat.

However, as I am saving those experiments for another, I just wanted a solid red base, bring on previous contender Vallejo model Air 71.003 Red RLM23

DSCF8747.jpg

Bang, it's red (I know it looks orange in this light, but it's like a London Bus in real life), and it's shiny from a coat of Pledge.

Further experimentation is required as to the application of Vallejo over Tamiya, and Tamiya over Vallejo.

I have one in mind.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi All

Shuffling slowly on, I redid the white on the tail and also put a thin patchy coat on the undersides of the wings as they're to be lozenged

DSCF8762.jpg

DSCF8763.jpg

I'll seal it all in and get some stickers on before final assembly.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Still not a lot of progress, some lozenge action though

DSCF8776.jpg

Trying these MicroSculpt decals as I've found them in a box I have.

The pieces go chordways, but first remember to take a photo of where there needs to be access to locating and rigging holes

DSCF8777.jpg

They go on ok, a bit thick and plasticy but quite resilient

DSCF8778.jpg

But after a trim and a bath of DACO Strong

DSCF8779.jpg

Markings next, hopefully before the turn of the year...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

Stickers on!

DSCF8780.jpg

Then a matt coat and legs!

DSCF8782.jpg

Main struts firmly in the lower wing, definite location but need to be splayed out a bit

DSCF8784.jpg

And finally the upper wing. Outer strut tops were CA'd in then the inner struts were clicked into position and TET'd

DSCF8785.jpg

I'm going to let it settle before rigging, and perhaps cast a sideways glance at the prop.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi All

A couple of brief Lab visits had me put a coat of Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan on the prop

DSCF8786.jpg

Followed by some thin strips of masking tape

DSCF8787.jpg

And a coat of Vallejo 71.041 Armour Brown

DSCF8788.jpg

I removed the strips and

DSCF8789.jpg

I spent ages over the strips trying to get the spacing like laminations, but it still looked odd.

That is, until I had a look from here

DSCF8790.jpg

DSCF8791.jpg

Next time I mask a prop I'm going to look at it from here first!

Anyhoo, I put in the missing fuel and radiator pipes

DSCF8795.jpg

DSCF8796.jpg

I'll put a coat of clear orange on the prop and see if that calms it down.

Rigging next!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

This stand thingumy comes in handy for setting broken legs

DSCF8801.jpg

But getting the radiator pipes back in was more of a challenge. The shorter rear one slipped down inside the compartment, and can sometimes still be heard rattling around (cue Peter And The Wolf Duck Oboe theme)

DSCF8804.jpg

Regardless, I got the rigging on with that Uschi 0.03mm

DSCF8806.jpg

Wheels and the prop

DSCF8807.jpg

DSCF8808.jpg

And I'm calling it done. Some shots for RFI and on to the next.

Thanks as always for the company, see you soon!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5