Beaufighter Mk.II

Second entry for this GB is a Beaufighter nightfighter from the recent Airfix kit.

There are numerous options for building a nightfighter.  I could build an early Mk.VI straight from the kit.   Using the TF.10 boxing I could build a later Mk,VI with the thimble nose.  Or, I could modify the tailplane into the early flat version and build a Mk.I.

But no...   I've gotta try something else.   This will be a Merlin-engined Mk.II.

It's not just a case of bunging a couple of Merlins on the wings.  The nacelles were considerably different from the Hercules-engined versions with a much lower engine centreline.  Luckily Alley Cat provide a very nice conversion set.

So here is the kit. Using the original TF.X boxing.

Beau001.JPG

Beau002.JPG

Beau006.JPG

Maybe half a dozen parts will be used from this sprue

Beau004.JPG

And none at all from this one.

Beau003.JPG

So, on to the Alley Cat conversion set.

Beau007.JPG

The wings are beautifully cast and obviously modelled from the original Airfix parts.  You can see just how different the nacelles are on the wing uppersurface.

The Mk.II aircraft also had the early flat tailplane, which is sourced from a seperate Alley Cat conversion kit.

Beau008.JPG

Should make an interesting comparison with my other Beaufighters.

• Like 13

welcome along Enzo with build #2 and not a simple shake-n-bake build either!

You have decided to go with something a bit different, that conversion set does look nice, Alley Cat do do some really nice resin bits. Just wish they'd re-release their 1/32nd Boomerang! :wub:

Good luck with this build, there'll be quite some interest with this one, another to look forward to seeing completed.

• Like 2

Will be watching this, my Mk II conversion is on its way. Forgot to order flat tail-planes though 🤔. I'll see if the MPM boxed Hasegawa ones will work as I have at least one spare set, you get all the parts to make any version in these kits.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's plenty cool subject choices in this GB and here we are with another one. Best of luck with it Enzo although I'm sure the quality of the conversion parts and your modelling skills will ensure it all goes well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have been working on this one, honest!   I've just been very remiss in updating the thread. :sorry:

So let's put that right.

First thing to do was build the resin wings.  It's a simple matter of gluing the engoine cowlings to the wing.  Just be a bit careful as they are handed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fuselage and cockpit construction proceeds as per normal with these kits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point I added the Alley Cat flat tail  and the fitted the Airfix fin.  The fin requires a bit of fettling to make it fit well, but it's a nice simple job.

spacer.png

Canopies on and masked. 

The resin wing has been offered up to the fuselage.  Here is the major construction difference with the resin wing.  The wing spars won't fit through as the wing is solid.  The spars need to be trimmed.  However, if you trim them carefully you can get a nice fit and a structure as rigid as the original kit.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Wings fitted.  The kit has been primed with grey plastic auto primer from a rattle can.  The landing light on the wing was sprayed Xtracylix XA1010 and then two suitably sized rhinestones were glued in place to simulate the light.  You can't see 'em, but I know they're there...  :fool: 

spacer.png

Landing light covers masked and final priming carried out.

spacer.png

Sprayed overal with Lifecolor UA723 Weathered Black.  The gunports were masked and then sprayed with red auto primer from a rattle can.

The weathered black dries to a very flat finish which isn't reallu siutable for decal application, so I've given the model a few coats of lacquer varnish.

spacer.png

Stickers on!  :fool:  And standing on its own gear.

spacer.png

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have been working on this one, honest!   I've just been very remiss in updating the thread. :sorry:

yes you have...keep that up and you'll end up in the naughty corner!

as with the other two builds, quick progress when you need it and very nicely done as well. I do like this version of the Beaufighter, she must have sounded awesome roaring overhead!

• Haha 1