Rivetting Tools

Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

Morning all,

I already have MDC's punch and spacing template tools for rivetting and they work really well. They are also, unfortunately, rather slow and tedious to work with.

Do any of the toothed wheel type tools have round sectioned teeth? I am interested in buying a good one but want round rivets made, not square ones.

Thanks all,

Jamie

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Morning all,

I already have MDC's punch and spacing template tools for rivetting and they work really well. They are also, unfortunately, rather slow and tedious to work with.

Do any of the toothed wheel type tools have round sectioned teeth? I am interested in buying a good one but want round rivets made, not square ones.

Thanks all,

Jamie

try this Jamie from Trumpeter and available online:-

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=899

I use the RB production riveters, have been for a number of years and have no complaints. They're photo etched so although not technically not totally round, they have a very slightly chamfered edge on both sides so the resulting holes appear round. I have just compared it with a rivet line made with a Rosie the Riveter which has much squarer teeth and the visual difference is hardly there.

Jeffrey

Thabks folks. I don't like the sound of the Rosie the Riveter tool and the Trumpeter one likewise looks no good.

The MDC one leaves proper round depressions behind but it's slow and easy to mis-place one.

resized_db28ab52-868a-4b09-9aef-02e470e7

I was really hoping there was a wheel type that had the "teeth" rounded.

The RB tool sounds the best of the three mentioned so far.

I have both the Trumpeter and RB wheels, and none of them has round teeth.  But since the rivet holes you get with them are so small, it is difficult to tell the difference (at least with the naked eye),

best,

Christian

• Thanks 1

I use the MDC tool for 1/32  scale and a wheel ( I have several ) for smaller scales.

The MDC item is technically known as a ' beading tool ' and a variety of sizes are available at dressmaking/haberdashery shops, or Hobby Craft if you want to increase your range, and make things like Dzus cowling fasteners. As mentioned above it is a long and tedious process but the effect is much better on larger scales

John