rigging wires what thickness thread and original at 1/72 ?

Merlin

Hi,

On an MTB

assuming a rigging line was 0.3inch dia then at 1/72 thats 0.1mm.    If it was 0.5inch then thats 0.17mm at 1/72

Rigging lines are 0.25mm EZ line or Uschi has 0.05mm at thickest, (also 0.03mm and 0.01mm)

How do I get scale lines at 1/72 as these are either double size too thick or half size too thin. almost x2 either way.

Anyone know what diameter the steel cables were from deck to mast ?

Studying photos where they are being held onto etc, I think 0.3 to 0.5inch is a fair estimate.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
supporting data

IMO, I think you're aiming for an ideal that doesn't exist and you should be aiming more for the 'effect'. May I suggest that you get some Uschi and EZ llines and try them, after all, once you stretch them, their diameters will decrease. I've rigged my 1/72 ASRL with Uschi Fine and you can hardly see it, just like the photos really.

Stuart

• Like 1

I'm with Stuart on this one - I've used Uschi 400g "Fine" line on MTB 40 over on RFI with EZ line only for the Deck lines that are notably thicker in original pictures.

The problem with EZ line is that it's actually flat not round and on occasions if you aren't careful it can twist and look slightly unrealistic.

I have some Mig elastic rigging that is just too fine for 1/72

I think the Uschi line is a good compromise

Rob

• Like 1