Martin Baker MB.5 questions

Tony C

I've recently started the 1:48 Silver Cloud Martin Baker MB.5 and have been gathering reference images to help in the build!

However, one shot has me baffled and wonder if anyone can offer any guidance...

35873688801_ccde5589a3_b.jpg

Any idea what the colour is for the leg and door interior which then leads to what colour would the wheel bay be?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Silver cloud MB5.... poor  sod!   I  mean brave man....

Ages ago  someone posted a link to a google album with just about every MB photo I've ever seen and more

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109207897425941419378/album/AF1QipMBMJ6gp_OhZWVy_uwhZinxicDlOQ-zwBOtQGQe?source=pwa

I  don't know, but a look at the pics, and I suspect it maybe grey-green,  

in this shot

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109207897425941419378/album/AF1QipMBMJ6gp_OhZWVy_uwhZinxicDlOQ-zwBOtQGQe/AF1QipNzevFxyCol7D7IWUEo90l9bjp4QArCqTj3kh4o

the inside of the gear doors appears a very similar tone to the engine bearers

in this one 

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109207897425941419378/album/AF1QipMBMJ6gp_OhZWVy_uwhZinxicDlOQ-zwBOtQGQe/AF1QipPFl23Bi0n2sxi86M5TcoJUnCgYLWqW0l14d9lr

the tailwheel strut looks the same as the internal structure,  but what MB used as an internal colour I don't know.

Anyway, lots of useful pics in the link which should be of use whatever.

HTH

T

• Like 3

I was told that MB were using zinc chromate at the time, but I have no evidence to back that up.  I think that's what I used in my model anyway :)  Good luck with the Silver Shroud kit.  It's a pig in a toupe, but the prop and ailerons came in handy on my Falcon kit :wicked:

complete6.jpg

• Like 2

On 18/07/2017 at 17:45, Troy Smith said:

Silver cloud MB5.... poor  sod!   I  mean brave man....

On 18/07/2017 at 18:32, Mike said:

Good luck with the Silver Shroud kit.  It's a pig in a toupe, but the prop and ailerons came in handy on my Falcon kit

Thanks, why couldn't you both warn me before I bought the kit :laugh: I think that its been moulded from soap, its that soft!

Fit doesn't seem that bad but is certainly thick and I've had to remove copious amounts just to fit the cockpit and to get the wing halves together!

Troy, thanks for the link to the google album, there are one or two I've not seen before but the reason for my question was based upon the picture below!

35680865751_5dd8662c6f_b.jpg

Whilst it shows the cockpit (and most likely taken on a different day), there is a definite tonal difference between the instrument panels (black) and the walls of the cockpit (grey/Green) which led me to assume that the landing gear and doors may be a darker colour than the usual grey/green colour.

I'm also aware that some of the film used during this period reproduces yellow in a darker shade so could this also be the case here?

Mike, do you remember which paint you used for your zinc chromate?

Thanks for the input from you both, its much appreciated!

Edited by Tony C

Looking at the photos linked to by Troy it appears to me that the undercarriage struts and door interiors changed colour at some point.  I wonder if the combination was silver and zinc chromate where the appearance was lighter and semi-gloss black where the appearance was darker.  I seem to recall that Canberra gear bays were black for a while.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1