Beaufighter torpedo - what colour is its monoplane air tail?

ChrisL

I'm building the new Airfix Beaufighter in the box's Coastal Command scheme. I've noticed that while the instructions have a painting guide for the scheme's torpedo, they don't indicate a colour for the torpedo's monoplane air tail (MAT) - the bit that attached onto the end of the torpedo.

I dimly recall that the build in AMW may have painted this a bronzey colour but as MATs were made from plywood this seems a bit unlikely. The picture about halfway down this page suggests that its MAT is a light colour, possibly the same colour as the Beaufighter's belly (so presumably Sky). Does anyone know if that's the case?

Chris, have a look at post #45 in this thread by Calum as he makes a superb job on a 489sqn Beau. This illustrates pretty well what I mean, I'm sure that is Calum's rather nice interpretation of a plywood tail.

Steve.

Edited for typos. :(

Edited by stevehnz

Dang, that's good. Now I'm intimidated!

There's a fairly easy way to do wood grain that has worked even for a chump like me:

Paint the object a base "wood" colour with an Acrylic. Then, once it's dried, get an oil paint in a darker wood colour for the wood grain, apply it over the acrylic, and then run a stiff brush over it to make the grain. Here's a good tutorial (not by me): http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/woodgrainel_1.htm

• Like 1

Dang, that's good. Now I'm intimidated!

Don't be, it was actually remarkably easy. I just painted the tail a light tan. Once dry I brush painted raw umber oil paint over the tan (I let the oil in the paint leach out on some cardboard first)

• Like 1