Revell Airbus A319 in Retro SAS colours

For the grey, I used a grey undercoat, then Revell 371. As I had ran out of 1mm masking tape which I've used in the past, I used plastic Tamiya tape.....With mixed results, on the panel lines I had a fair bit of bleeding, not that big a deal but a hassle none the less, and that was with pressing the tape into the lines.

I thought the grey was a bit dark, but it depends what photo you look at and under what light. Anyway it will do.

image_131.jpeg

image_132.jpeg

image_133.jpeg

Here is a photo where the grey is almost the same colour.

image_134.jpeg

• Like 4

Quick question, all the paint is acrylic, I've added most of the decals, no photos getting shown yet. The decals are very Matt in appearance. I've bought some clear gloss acrylic, will this be ok to put over the decals, as I've not got any Kleer.

Quick question, all the paint is acrylic, I've added most of the decals, no photos getting shown yet. The decals are very Matt in appearance. I've bought some clear gloss acrylic, will this be ok to put over the decals, as I've not got any Kleer.

I can't really see it being a problem, a couple of light coats as usual shouldn't harm the decals. Let the decals dry for a day or two, then if you've used any setting solutions wash these off with soapy water and dry, then gently apply your varnish. When I say gently I don't mean treat it with kid gloves but use the normal careful gentle approach to applying your final top coat.

That's nice neat masking for the wings.

One question and please do not take this as anything other than a curiousness on my part, but why did you rescribe the panel lines?

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi there Jeff, I have never done it on any other aircraft, so I thought I would experiment on this one, don't know wither I like it or not, but too late now. I think in the future I'll keep it for military stuff, and leave it off the civil stuff.

The varnish I've got is Humbrol aerosol in both gloss and satin.

Edited by Dunter1969

I rescribed a Minicraft DC6 a few years ago because it has next to nothing in the way of detailing. I wish I hadn't because my effort was so awful and uneven, it's sat down the shed ever since and looks at me all forlorn if I venture down there. I really must do something with it and seeing your SAS build has whetted my appetite for a model of a plane that carried that lovely scheme when it was actually current and not retro - something like a DC6 perhaps?

Great build so far.

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

I was a bit heavy handed on the main fuselage, but I calmed myself down a bit on the wings, which I more happy with. The decals have calmed them down a bit, as they take your eyes off them.

Edited by Dunter1969

I didn't know Matchbox did an Airbus!! :bleh:

Generally I tend to fill any panel lines and draw them in later with a very sharp soft pencil. Any scribed panel line in 1/144 is far too wide I find. Although I do leave them in on the wings, I don't know why!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

I didn't know Matchbox did an Airbus!! :bleh:

Generally I tend to fill any panel lines and draw them in later with a very sharp soft pencil. Any scribed panel line in 1/144 is far too wide I find. Although I do leave them in on the wings, I don't know why!

Cheers,

Ian

Lol, cheers for that, I never thought of it like that, the next one will definitely will not have the lines scribed. Edited by Dunter1969

Arghhhhhhhh f&&I etc etc etc, I'm surprised most of you didn't here me shouting and swearing today.

I put on the decals they looked great, I then applied the gloss over the top and let that dry.

I then masked over the body so I could spray the wings satin.

Then this happened when I pulled the masking tape off,

image_142.jpeg

Not only on one side but the other side as well.

image_141.jpeg

New decals ordered from Nazca, arghhhhhhhhhhh

I feel your pain. I did this to a SAA DC-4. Once there was a layer of Future on the fuselage, and it had dried for a week, I thought nothing of remasking the cheat lines - the result was exactly what you have shown here. To this day I never bring a decal anywhere near a model till ALL the painting is done.

So sorry to see this.

• Like 1

Is it because I didn't put enough clear varnish on it, or did I not leave it long enough. I left about 8hrs before this clusterf@@k

I have had this happen before. No amount of clear and setting will prevent decals lifting.

If I have to mask over decals (that have been sealed) I used 'Post it' notes. The glue is not too strong and you can get a way with laying them on decals. Even then I do not burnish them down to much.

• Like 2

Oh that is so unfortunate. Even though most stick like limpets to the surface, it's amazing that a little bit of tape can easily pull them up, even when varnished over - I've done it in the past a few times, and have also used it to my advantage for removing decals I don't like or when a model gets a make over. I don't even trust post-it notes!

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Well I wasn't feeling the love for this one since my decal muck up, and still being in considerable pain since my knee op, so didn't take to many photos of the build up of the engines.

Next were the engines whilst I waited for the decals to come through, there was a lot of excess to be filed off.

image_160.jpeg

Those files I bought for the Dreamliner build have been really useful.

image_161.jpeg

I also noticed that there was a lot of mould marks done you would see others you can't.

image_162.jpeg

These had to come off so I made this

image_166.jpeg

And the mould marks smoothed over

image_163.jpeg

Next up I painted all the internal parts, some of which I had to paint again due to a small bit of overspray when spraying the outside engine panels.

image_165.jpeg

Now this is the part I didn't take too many photos, this is with both engines assembled and prior to painting.

image_165.jpeg

And this is them all painted and on the plane

image_147.jpeg

• Like 1