British Airways A380

Rybeast

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the two were synonyms or not.

On an unrelated subject the paint Halfords made for me isn't spraying well. Just sprays blobs. I had got a fine mist going but when I went to do a second coat twenty minutes later it just sprayed heavily with blobs! I've left the little red mister thing on, so not sure what's happened!

Any guesses?

Look what I dided!

image_zpseffmzqif.jpeg

image_zpsr4xgb1oa.jpeg

At some point I'm going to have to go over the aeroflex some more, but until I can work out how to use that nozzle I'm not playing ball.

I'm really happy with the fuselage - had another application do white and et voila!

I would like to paint over some of the blue - can I spray the paint into a contained area and paint that way with a brush?

When spraying from a can, after you've used it turn the can upside down and press the nozzle until no paint comes out, this keeps the nozzle free from paint. Also give it a wipe with a rag with thinners on it just to be extra sure no paint is left on the nozzle.

I do this all the time with Halfords paints and have had no problems

Brilliant,

I'll try that again. I had turned the can upside down to do this, but I will try again.

Unfortunately I'm trying to put together the underbelly of the A380 by dry fitting first. I'm finding that the belly itself just doesn't seem to fit and there's going to need to be some sort of significant manoeuvring of the fuselage in order to accommodate it.

Is this a known problem?

Thought I'd add a bit more to my problem above.

The underbelly will not fit with the fuselage in its current 'straight' position. The middle of the fuselage has to be contorted slightly in order to accommodate one side of the belly.

I haven't even tried yet to do it with both sides attached to each other yet.

It isn't going to go together without a fight, that's for sure. I'm just not sure myself how to move on with it!

Try gently scraping the paint bleeds with the edge of a brand new razor knife blade. This will get rid of most of it without doing too much damage to the underlying paint. You may need to mask the blue and spray more white to cover what remains after that.

Agree there Jess - or you can use the tip of a cocktail stick which has saved my work many a time in the past - someone else on the forum gave me the tip years ago and it has got me out of plenty of leaky messes since

Hi

I've just dropped in on your build for the first time - good luck with the kit, I made this a year or so back and ended up selling it as a completed diorama.

It looks like you have a wealth of Airbus knowledge being brought to you by others on the forum here so I wont go adding anything other than my recommendation to use a decal for the cockpit windows in case you drop them in the fuselage when gluing them in.

This thread may help you - and good luck with the build. You've picked a great choice of airliner and livery.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961237-british-airways-1144-a380-last-lap-home-above-the-m4/?hl=%2Bbritish+%2Bairways+%2Ba380

• Like 1

Hi

I've just dropped in on your build for the first time - good luck with the kit, I made this a year or so back and ended up selling it as a completed diorama.

It looks like you have a wealth of Airbus knowledge being brought to you by others on the forum here so I wont go adding anything other than my recommendation to use a decal for the cockpit windows in case you drop them in the fuselage when gluing them in.

This thread may help you - and good luck with the build. You've picked a great choice of airliner and livery.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961237-british-airways-1144-a380-last-lap-home-above-the-m4/?hl=%2Bbritish+%2Bairways+%2Ba380

Won't lie - I've been modelling this build on your build!!

Hi Rybeast,

I can't help thinking you'd find it easier if you'd assembled the fuselage and possibly the wings before painting? I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but you may find it easier to achieve a better result if you sort out seams and fit issues, such as you mentioned with the belly, before applying the paint. I would generally leave the engines, undercarriage and horizontal stabilisers off and paint them separately. There are different schools of thought about fitting the wings, but I think if they fit well enough you can paint them separately, otherwise it may be best to fit them and sort out any fit issues first. There's obviously a balance to be struck between ease of painting/masking and quality of the overall finish.

From my experience with this kit, you need to be quite careful to get the wing dihedral angle right, otherwise it won't sit on all it's wheels properly and the inner engines can tend to sit a bit low to the ground.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Turbulence,

I paint all the parts separately as they've all gone together quite well without being attached to the main fuselage.

I'm planning on doing th model without the wheels, and therefore in terms of the plane resting on them I'm not too concerned.

I would however, have had the same problem with the underbelly fixing together had I painted before or stuck together.

It is this I'm trying to remedy. It isn't just a thing of it not fitting very well, it doesn't fit at all.

So in terms of how big the spillage is: have a photo.

image_zpsy0akmyy1.jpeg

As you can see, the edges of the piece spill out either side of the fuselage, and even the length isn't great.

I'm really not happy with having to sand down or cut any of it out, so what would my options be?

Is it that the fuselage needs to manually be rounded by hand? What gives?

Won't lie - I've been modelling this build on your build!!

Then I am flattered you believe it good enough to base your own on - PM me if you need some free spare BA decals as I probably have loads left over. I bodged the tail fin decal first time round on mine and Ray at 26 came to my rescue and sent me a free spare sheet which probably still has a spare flight deck decal on it if you are going to go that route

Ta - John :pilot:

Edited by Gimme Shelter

It's a little bit difficult to tell without seeing what's going on at the front of the belly, but I think the most important bit will be to make the openings for the undercarriage bays line up and work from there. It's a number of years since I assembled mine, but I don't recall having and major issues with the fit of this part (although my memory is a little suspect these days!). I would glue the fuselage halves together first and then tackle the belly. If necessary, you could try gluing small tabs around the edge of the opening in the fuselage, before trying to get the belly in. There should be some flex in the fuselage to allow you to gently pry the sides apart and get it in. As you alluded to above, I suspect the problem is that the two halves have become a bit flattened since they left the moulding machine, so things should fit ok if you can force them back into their proper shape.

Good luck.

Andrew

• Like 1

Trust us Rybeast - if you are having fuselage issue now its probably going to get worse

Just take the plunge and go get sticky and tapey and get the port and starboard halves together. You can repaint/re-spray later on once you have the fuselage properly joined.

The fuselage join will need a tad filling and touching up anyway, so you may just as well get them joined now and the kit will then do what you need it to do around the undercarriage box area

• Like 1

Thank you.

Turned a corner today hopefully, so we'll see!

My spare replacement parts (engines) arrived today. Once they've been primed - I'm hoping to do the inner engines in enamel, and the outer in acrylic.

That way I'm hoping I can 'close' the inner engine when it comes to using lacquer and the like.

Seems a simple enough plan - you guys have the experience to tell me whether it will work or not!

Thank you.

Turned a corner today hopefully, so we'll see!

My spare replacement parts (engines) arrived today. Once they've been primed - I'm hoping to do the inner engines in enamel, and the outer in acrylic.

That way I'm hoping I can 'close' the inner engine when it comes to using lacquer and the like.

Seems a simple enough plan - you guys have the experience to tell me whether it will work or not!

Hi matey

I must have missed something beforehand here - whats this about spare/replacement engines - have you bought some resins - if so, please show and tell!!

Sorry - no resin parts! Replacements from Revell I'm afraid!

Looking at this image:

image_zpsdfyan4ws.jpeg

the outer part of the engine is in a few colours. The cone is a rustic red, the outer rom is metallic, but ways the dark colour? Is it a black? Or a very dark blue? The decal sheet doesn't give me any ideas as to a colour to go for!

• Like 1

Pleased with my engine efforts thus far. Here the innards are painted and nearly ready for decoration!

image_zpsuljtdyhl.jpeg

On the engine casket, are the silver rectangles outward from the aircraft - I.e. On the far right on the left, and far left on the right?