The Prisoner Lotus 7

After much deliberation and discussion on this forum regarding the colour, I've decided to go with a dark green.

All the body parts are primed, glossed and 2k'd, awaiting a bit of detail painting and the next stages of assemly.

I'm building this little one alongside my Pocher Rolls Royce for three reasons:

1 - I don't want to suffer from 'Pocheritis'. I've read about this before. Pocher kits are such mammoth project that a lot of builders get fed up with the seemingly days and days of work and not much looking very different. Hence, boredom, and then give up.

2 - I don't want to rattle through the Pocher too quickly either. Although it is a monster project, I do have anywhere from 4 - 8 hours a day I can work on it now that I'm retired. I would hate to get it completed in a few months, which is not all that impossible.

3 - I still enjoy building the easier 'see the results quickly' models.

BTW.... I've decided that the Lotus 7 diorama will be outside Number 6's cottage in The Village.
Number 6 will be standing beside the car, and Rover will be behind the car, near the back.

I know the Lotus was never in The Village, but hey ho - It's my diorama.

Actually, for anyone who enjoyed The Prisoner, but like me, was a bit baffled by some of it, there's a fantastic interview with Patrick McGoohan where he explains it all:

http://www.the-prisoner-6.freeserve.co.uk/troyer.htm

Roy.

P1010025_zpsda58d1d2.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I've done little more between the Pocher build and this one.

The interior floor was BMF'd and the side panels were made as separate panels, like the real cars - except mine were made using spray painted self adhesive paper labels.....

The panels were copied from pics of a real car, drawn onto the s/a labels, cut out and then sprayed.

The pics make it look as if the edges of the panels are white, but it's flash reflection - the panels aren't white at the edges.

I have decided - heaven forbid (!) that the kit will be pretty much OOB. Unusual for me, as I love adding the extra details, particularly around the engine.

However, in this case the diorama is the important factor, so I'll spend more time on that.

Roy.

P1010043_zpse5701d7f.jpg

P1010042_zps00120fa5.jpg

• Like 2

How do you find spraying 2k Roy, any pointers, or should I just try the 1k first

Thanks Colin

I use this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerosol-Car-Lacquer-Professional-2K-product-Clear-/360169704193?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item53dbc98b01

It's amazing. Goes on as an incredibly fine mist, glosses beautifully and it seems almost impossible to make the stuff run.

It smells totally evil though and you MUST wear a mask with it.

Dries in about 20 minutes but takes about a week to fully cure.

Roy.

Yes, this stuff goes out 'out of the can'. I've used it on all my recent car builds and the gloss is fantastic.

If anything, it could be a bit TOO glossy for older cars and race cars but it does make the finished car sparkle.
The pictures never quite show how good the gloss really is. At around £8 inc delivery, it's worth getting a can and trying it.
It goes over absolutely any kind of paint you can name.

My little Ferrari California pictures show the gloss better than most, maybe due to the colour.

Bear in mind the body hasn't had a polish yet either...

Roy.

P1010151_zps0855827e.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

I've done quite a bit on the Lotus - bear in mind I'm building it pretty much OOB which is something I never usually do.

As this is going to be part of some kind of diorama I'm not thinking about whether anyone will look at the engine etc anyway.

It's a really simple, fun little build and in a way, it makes a change not to be fiddling about with minute extra details that in the end, only I know are there anyway.

Perhaps I should re-think my future kit-building strategy so as to be a bit less 'OCD'....

Roy.

P1010052_zps3daee0e1.jpg

P1010053_zps75285121.jpg

• Like 2