Airfix 1/72 Me-109e

Hey guys. Just realized that I've been browsing and commenting on here for a while now, and I've yet to share anything of my own. So... I figured I'd post a few pics of a quick build I've recently finished.

I had a week off work recently and figured I'd buy a cheap little kit to keep me sane during my time off. I decided on Airfix's new(ish) Me-109E, purely because it was pretty cheap. I wasn't expecting much from the kit, and decided I'd just have a laugh with it. Boy, was I wrong.

What ensued was one of the most enjoyable builds I have done in a long time. So much so, that I decided I enjoyed this little kit so much, I would pick another up.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no real deep knowledge of the '109. I could tell you maybe what engine it used, and the main operators, but as far as what units operated it or the specifics of different versions, I'm at a blank. I'm sure the two planes depicted below never actually served alongside each other, but I'd be lying if I said I did my homework before this build :/

Both kits are OOB, and I must say, upon opening the box, I was pleasantly surprised. Airfix have really pulled themselves together since I last built one of their 'schmitts back as a kid. The panel lines are finely recessed, and the kit is very well thought out. The cockpit is generally well detailled (raised instrument panels would be nicer than the flat panel and decals, but meh...) and the fit is very good. As far as I am aware, it is perhaps the most faithful kit to the original as far as shape and proportion are concerned, and (please correct me if I am wrong) it's the only '109e in this scale that allows the flaps to be lowered without having to take an xacto to it and it having to suffer some degree of surgery.

Both are finished in Revell acrylics through my dodgy £15 airbrush, weathering using Tamiya Weathering Master kits.

One quick question I have whilst I'm here though; is 'Pledge Multi Surface Wax' (the improved formula Klear, as they put it) basically the old Future? That was my gloss coat before decals, and it seemed to work ok, but I've never gotten a hold of Future to be able to form a comparison...

Figures are from the Revell 1/72 Luftwaffe, please excuse my figure painting, and I apologize in advance about the picture/lighting quality.

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to any comments/criticisms that you guys can offer!

Daryl.

1Wfqq1t.jpg?1

wMeMLnx.jpg?1

MrLWy9e.jpg?1

8d1iLzt.jpg?1

WOcqaFp.jpg?1

TPNRuUa.jpg?1

BihQgW3.jpg?1

orgBKpA.jpg?1

p7p5y7y.jpg?1

• Like 1

That is excellent modelling and an evocative diorama created with simple means. The figures (early Presier set?) really make the machines come to life. Very well done indeed!

There's a gotcha (if you're a stickler for accuracy) when using developed flaps on the Bf 109. When fully depressed, both ailerons also droop some 11 degrees (IIRC), to increase the aerodynamic effect of the flaps. And on the subject of accuracy, don't the tails look naked without that ugly, crooked cross? There's a plethora of 3rd party swastika sheets…

The pilot resting on the wing of the Emil that is just being boarded by another pilot, looks a trifle malplacé to my eyes. A ground crew, about to help the pilot to strap in, would somehow make more sense, I think. Otherwise, full marks! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Joachim

That is excellent modelling and an evocative diorama created with simple means. The figures (early Presier set?) really make the machines come to life. Very well done indeed!

There's a gotcha (if you're a stickler for accuracy) when using developed flaps on the Bf 109. When fully depressed, both ailerons also droop some 11 degrees (IIRC), to increase the aerodynamic effect of the flaps. And on the subject of accuracy, don't the tails look naked without that ugly, crooked cross? There's a plethora of 3rd party swastika sheets…

See, this is exactly why I love forums like this. I would've have no idea about the ailerons... something I'd definitely incorporate in any future '109 build. And yeah, I totally agree... I think it's a real shame that Airfix and other companies refuse to add certain tail markings to Luftwaffe planes. I was looking at some on Hannants whilst building, but I accidentally finished them both before I got chance to order any decals :/

Also, I do agree about the ground crew to a degree. I think what I was going for was a more relaxed approach with the figures. The box contained loads of chaps all running about and scrambling to planes and stuff, but I remember loving the film The Battle of Britain, and how blasé the Luftwaffe guys always looked on the ground.

But, thanks for all the kind words, guys! Looking at a lot of builds posted on here, and trying not to compare mine to them, it means a lot :)

That is really good work there. Not really into the human aspect of kits but you've done it well. I've just finished the Airfix 109e in Romanian markings. Things didn't go anywhere near as well as yours.