A few hours at RAF Lakenheath

James V

When I was 18 I got to spend a weekend on the base. That was an experience I will never forget. On the Monday morning, before we went home we attended the base high school for the morning. Just as we were leaving 2 F-15Es thundered overhead- some noise and a beautiful sight. I played american football- the base team were unsurprisingly called the Lakenheath Eagles, lol.

Jame's I see your still sticking with your 100-400 with the 7D and still getting pin sharp images. I bought one from Hong Kong on a good price and have been really pleased with it on my old 40D.It seems a fantastic lens for the price compared with others.

Do you have any auto focusing problems with the 7D because of the extra focusing points etc

Thanks Colin

Gary,

Not a problem on the settings - I am sure you will get better results than me - Planning another night shoot very soon - you will have to PM me sometime about it.

Colin,

The 7D and the 100 - 400 is a good combo bit the body is starting to show the age of the lens. I think I willbe upgrading the lens next year to a prime (mainly as my 100 - 400 will be 7 years old!)

If you are looking for a good lens, i would wholeheartedly recommend the 70 - 300 IS L - The fiancee has got this lens and to be honest, optically and speed, it leaves my lens at the start line! The auto focus is not a problem once set up. If you do get one, please drop me a PM and I will send you the settings I use for photgraphy - Gary, same applies to you, just in case you wanted to compare.

Just one point about the 7D, I find you have to shoot in RAW - it is a big step up from the 30D i had and your 40D - The sensor simply shows up an imperfection in your photography and lens. I do also find it particularly noisy and this is always sorted out post processing. With all of these issues, I would not swap it for the world. It is a stunning camera - once it has been set up!