KitBase Price Change

KitBase Gary

Thanks again to Mike for allowing me to post.

KitBase (the database for scale modellers) has now been available for over three years. Over that time I have released several upgrades following feedback from the modelling community (all of these free to existing owners of KitBase).

I have held back from increasing the price until all of the major requested features have been added. The last missing feature that might prevent a modeller from using KitBase is the Excel-Compatible import. This is now part of version 1.40, released this month.

The new price from Monday September 17th will be: 49.99 USD (or 24.99 GBP).

In fairness to everyone who has given feedback on these forums and directly through email, I am letting everyone know a month in advance. That way you can buy KitBase at the current price (29.99 USD, 14.99 GBP).

You can read more about KitBase and download a free trial from here:

http://www.suisoft.co.uk/kitbase/

I have updated my 'Evolution of KitBase' page to include the latest features and future plans:

http://www.suisoft.co.uk/kitbase/evolution.htm

Every release of KitBase is a properly tested, finished application but I always have a list of suggestions for new features and improvements.

Thanks to everyone who has supported KitBase and provided me with feedback.

KitBase has a FaceBook page if you would like to leave comments or 'Like' it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suisoft-KitBase/118513404899519

Please feel free to pass this information on to fellow modellers.

- Gary Marples

• Like 1

What I've done is to create a new Kit Type as Books, I then place the Publisher in Product Manufacturer, the ISBN in Product Number and use Product Media to indicate Soft or Hardback. The rest is the filled out as for Kits.

I've also done the same thing for Decal Sheets that haven't yet been allocated to a particular kit!

However, one thing that I would like to see added to the 'Kit / Accessory Record' page is Origin of Tooling so for example, if I have a 1/48 Revell Hurricane Mk.IIc, then I can enter Hasegawa as the original Manufacturer.

At the moment, the 'Reference Notes' box is intended for links and book/magazine references. Obviously this doesn't allow sharing of references across kits. I have a separate References table planned for a future release.

Tony: if you have already entered your data into the kits table, you will be able to transfer it into the References table via the Export/Import features, when the new table is available.

RE: Decals

For accessories that are not 'with kit', you can choose 'Accessory' (top left) on the Kit Record screen then choose an accessory type of Decals.

If you have a Kit Type of 'Decals' and record them as kits this will distort your kit counts (statistics on the kit list and master screens).

RE: Kit Type of 'Books'

The only issue with this, is the kit counts will be out. You might be better off using an Accessory Type of 'Books' instead (as per decals above). The Kit Type can be filled out according to the referenced subject (e.g. Aircraft, if the reference is an aircraft).

RE: Origin of Tooling

You could add a custom field for this. Go into 'Tools / Custom Fields'. Click the help button on the 'Custom Fields' screen for more information. The help is also available online here:

http://www.suisoft.c...rd.customfields

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 1

However, one thing that I would like to see added to the 'Kit / Accessory Record' page is Origin of Tooling so for example, if I have a 1/48 Revell Hurricane Mk.IIc, then I can enter Hasegawa as the original Manufacturer.

Now that is an interesting item....sort of history of the molds. What about those Eastern European shared molds? I'm thinking Mirage/Aga Apex/Eastern Express type of situations, a cross reference where shared molds exist...

Cheers

Adam

Now that is an interesting item....sort of history of the molds. What about those Eastern European shared molds? I'm thinking Mirage/Aga Apex/Eastern Express type of situations, a cross reference where shared molds exist...

Cheers

Adam

The custom fields function (Tools / Custom Fields) will enable you to add that field no problem. You can then customise a view to show it in the kit list. You could create a new view that displays that field first, thus grouping by it.

Cheers,

Gary

Downloaded the trial to give it a try, so far it looks very promising. Just one question, it didn't seem to want to accept .pdf files to be associated with the kits documents (I have a lot of instructions saved as .pdf files). Does that feature only work with .jpg .bmp and word .doc files?

Downloaded the trial to give it a try, so far it looks very promising. Just one question, it didn't seem to want to accept .pdf files to be associated with the kits documents (I have a lot of instructions saved as .pdf files). Does that feature only work with .jpg .bmp and word .doc files?

You can import PDF files into the 'Documents and Images' tab but they don't preview or show in the gallery. You can open them in the 'Documents and Images' tab by double clicking or right click then Open. You can associate any kind of file with a kit via the 'Documents and Images' tab.

I am considering showing non-image files (e.g. PDF/Word) in the gallery as icons, so that you can click on them to open them up.

Did you mean the gallery / preview?

You can import PDF files into the 'Documents and Images' tab but they don't preview or show in the gallery. You can open them in the 'Documents and Images' tab by double clicking or right click then Open. You can associate any kind of file with a kit via the 'Documents and Images' tab.

I am considering showing non-image files (e.g. PDF/Word) in the gallery as icons, so that you can click on them to open them up.

Hi Gary,

This would be a useful feature as I have pdfs or photos of instruction pages which would be handy to preview/access via the gallery page. I have instructions added as a custom field so I knwo which kits have these associated, but access via the gallery would streamline this.

Kevin

It is logged for the next release. It will likely be an icon in the gallery that can be clicked to open the file quickly. I suspect a document preview would not be readable but as you say, access via the gallery would streamline opening the documents.

Thanks for your suggestions, all.

Cheers,

Gary

I imported a .pdf file into the documents tab of a kit, but the file icon showed as a word .doc file and when I double clicked or tried to open it, it opened in word as gobblydee gook. If you say it's possible to have .pdf files there I'll try again, I'm still working everything out.

I imported a .pdf file into the documents tab of a kit, but the file icon showed as a word .doc file and when I double clicked or tried to open it, it opened in word as gobblydee gook. If you say it's possible to have .pdf files there I'll try again, I'm still working everything out.

That's very strange. Sounds like the file extension is wrong or maybe the file association.

Does the file open OK from Windows explorer?

You could drop me a line via email and perhaps attach the PDF file:

http://www.suisoft.co.uk/contact.htm

Had a play and it looks like it was a problem with file associations on my laptop, changed the settings and it works fine now in the database. Thanks for so promptly answering my questions and taking the time to reply on the forums - gives me a lot of confidence in the product :thumbsup2: .

• Like 1

Had a play and it looks like it was a problem with file associations on my laptop, changed the settings and it works fine now in the database. Thanks for so promptly answering my questions and taking the time to reply on the forums - gives me a lot of confidence in the product :thumbsup2: .

That's great. Glad to help.

Cheers,

Gary

A field for a link to the online build log of the actual model would be nice eg pointing to the associated WIP thread on this forum. It would just need being able to set custom field to a URL rather than text.

A field for a link to the online build log of the actual model would be nice eg pointing to the associated WIP thread on this forum. It would just need being able to set custom field to a URL rather than text.

I'm experimenting with the custon fields to create a 'reference' tab which would record books,magazine articles, videos/dvds and URLS, only I haven,t tried URLS yet

Cheers

Adam

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have logged the textbox URL feature. I will look into it.

In the meantime, you can add URL's to the notes boxes (e.g. Reference Notes).

These will then be clickable on the Kit List tabs at the bottom.

Edited by KitBase Gary

I'm experimenting with the custon fields to create a 'reference' tab which would record books,magazine articles, videos/dvds and URLS, only I haven,t tried URLS yet

I have a separate references table planned for a future release.

At the moment, you have two options for references:

1) Use the Reference Notes tab. This is free text but only belongs to an individual kit. A separate list will have the advantage of being a central reference for all kits.

2) Record references against an Accessory Type. This will prevent skewing of your kit counts.

If you do place references against an Accessory Type, you should be able to export them into CSV and import them into the new table, when it becomes available.

Hope this helps.

Hi Gary,

Have got the hang of the Custom Fields options, thanks!

However, this is another thing that I would like to see and that is the possibility of linking 1 accessory to more than one kit!

To explain, I have the decal sheet shown below...

X48106.jpg

...and my intention is to use at least three of the markings but as far as I can see, I currently have to enter the decal sheet three times, for each kit that will be used!

Is it possible to link one item to more than 1 kit, so save on the duplication?

I hope that makes sense!

However, this is another thing that I would like to see and that is the possibility of linking 1 accessory to more than one kit!

...and my intention is to use at least three of the markings but as far as I can see, I currently have to enter the decal sheet three times, for each kit that will be used!

Is it possible to link one item to more than 1 kit, so save on the duplication?

I hope that makes sense!

The 'Accessories (with Kit)' tab indicates the accessories that are stored in the box with the kit.

If you keep your accessories separate (e.g decals in a drawer) they can be entered directly using the 'Add' button on the Kit List. Choose 'Accessory' from the radio buttons top left of the kit record. The location can be set to 'Model Room Top Drawer' or suchlike. That way they will be shared across kits because you are looking them up from the kit list.

If you are splitting up the decals and storing them with the kits, you would have to apportion them by creating 3 accessories and perhaps dividing up the price (if recorded). You could indicate in the accessory notes that the decals are split from a set.

When you get down to the real detail of how accessories are stored and used it can get a bit fiddly to record them. I think the best way is to represent how they are physically stored and make notes if you have split something up.

As an aside, I am considering an additional 'soft link' that represents the intended use of an accessory (not the physical storage), therefore you could keep the decals separate but indicate that they are used on kit RecNo's #43, #55 and #101. In the meantime, you could record this in the accessory notes for reference. This feature was suggested by another modeller.

Hope this makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, A note to everyone: Today is the last day of the old price, according to the OP the price goes up tomorrow.

Secondly, I'd like to add my support for cross reference tables (I think the word "junction table" is more commonly used in database design), linking accessories to kits. I'm a big fan of decal sheets with more than one type of plane on them, and there are aftermarket items like seatbelts that goes with more than one kit.

Hm, looking at it (bought the program today!) I see no way of making relationships between accessories and kits at all? I thought the problem was just many-to-many relationships, but I can't find even one-to-one relationships?

Edited by Wizball

I've been using Kitbase now for a while to keep track of my kits that are "out of sight, out of mind" in the workshop loft, and it's a great piece of software, and even allows you to enter a location of the kits so you don't have to search the physical world. For instance I have numbered boxes in my loft that correspond with my entries in the database. To find a kit I look where it is, and retrieve the corresponding box, knowing that I'll find the object of my desire within. ^_^

I can't recommend it highly enough at the new or old price. If you're prepared to put the work in to populate the database properly, you'll be rewarded by an emininetly searchable and useful kit database that will help you out when your memory fails, which mine frequently does. :)

... I'd like to add my support for cross reference tables (I think the word "junction table" is more commonly used in database design), linking accessories to kits. I'm a big fan of decal sheets with more than one type of plane on them, and there are aftermarket items like seatbelts that goes with more than one kit.

Hm, looking at it (bought the program today!) I see no way of making relationships between accessories and kits at all? I thought the problem was just many-to-many relationships, but I can't find even one-to-one relationships?

Thanks for buying.

Accessories that are compatible with multiple kits are a bit of a fiddly thing to handle.

KitBase does allow you to link an accessory to a kit via the 'Accessories (with kit)' tab. Any accessories added this way are linked to a kit via RecNo. If you look on the Kit Record screen you will see the location is '(with kit)' and the Location Number is the RecNo of the kit. You can change this manually if you note a kit recno and update an accessory record.

The 'with kit' relationship indicates that an accessory is stored with a kit, usually in the box. This is most useful where you have a specific build in mind and have purchased the after market items for it.

For accessories that you are storing elsewhere (e.g. in a drawer) you can add these separately just like kits. Choose the 'Kit Accessory' option on the top left of the Kit Record screen when adding.

If an accessory is for multiple kits, you could specify a list of type numbers / names in the Type Number / Name boxes of the accessory. Quantities remaining and details can be recorded in the Accessory Notes box (of the accessory).

That way, you can filter the main list to an accessory type (e.g. Decals) then browse for the name/number or use the text search box (next to the binoculars icon).

Hope this helps (and makes sense).

I've been using Kitbase now for a while to keep track of my kits that are "out of sight, out of mind" in the workshop loft, and it's a great piece of software, and even allows you to enter a location of the kits so you don't have to search the physical world. For instance I have numbered boxes in my loft that correspond with my entries in the database. To find a kit I look where it is, and retrieve the corresponding box, knowing that I'll find the object of my desire within. ^_^

I can't recommend it highly enough at the new or old price. If you're prepared to put the work in to populate the database properly, you'll be rewarded by an emininetly searchable and useful kit database that will help you out when your memory fails, which mine frequently does. :)

Thanks Mike. Glad you're still finding KitBase useful.

Edited by KitBase Gary

Thanks for buying.

Accessories that are compatible with multiple kits are a bit of a fiddly thing to handle.

KitBase does allow you to link an accessory to a kit via the 'Accessories (with kit)' tab. Any accessories added this way are linked to a kit via RecNo. If you look on the Kit Record screen you will see the location is '(with kit)' and the Location Number is the RecNo of the kit. You can change this manually if you note a kit recno and update an accessory record.

The 'with kit' relationship indicates that an accessory is stored with a kit, usually in the box. This is most useful where you have a specific build in mind and have purchased the after market items for it.

As I said, in my opinion a junction table/join table would be very useful. I get the feeling that Accessories and Kits are stored in the same database table? Well, no matter, a cross reference table can still be used. It would make the program a bit more database-y instead of excel-y, if you understand what I mean.

Yes, I get how the (with kit) works. Most often this is exactly what I do, when it fits, but I run into problems when I store a decal sheet in one box which I also intend to use on other kits. Now I use postit notes on the boxes, but they have a tendency to fall off AND when I buy a new kit KitBase could be very useful in looking up exactly what I have for a given aircraft. I also have decal sheets with more than one scale. But as long as the text search works this is doable.

I have actually thought many times about designing and writing exactly this kind of software. I'm a software developer myself and specialized in Java enterprise applications, so thinking in objects/tables is very natural to me. I'm no good on the presentation side of things which is one of the reasons my plans never went longer than the "thinking about it" stage. That, and that I do enough programming at my full time work... Having found KitBase I can put those plans to rest for good, no need to reinvent the wheel!