USS Enterprise E

Hey guys,

I bought this kit back in 2009 and have been working on it on and off ever since. Ive wanted this kit since I was a kid in the 90s when First Contact came out and was well chuffed when Round 2 brought out the re issue a few years back. I stopped work in this a few months ago because I completely ran out of motivation, ive done all of the aztec paintwork by hand (rather than using decals) and its very tiresome. Im currently doing a USS Voyager to get my motivation back. My only regret with this model is I wish I had put the anti collision lights on, as well as the lights to show port / starboard. Back when I did the electronics I was a lot less experienced with fibre optics and flasher circuits and should have taken the time to learn. Let me know what you guys think

7789547792_e3f53fc3af.jpg

7789544306_0d50540509.jpg

7789541330_e3732dde4d.jpg

7789537874_795197b31f.jpg

7789533724_d2d06d09b7.jpg

7789531722_c75679e84f.jpg

7789528310_30d7516410.jpg

7789525458_46dbeb246e.jpg

7789523128_6f08f8edc8.jpg

7789521656_c49f049418.jpg

7789518936_71efe1ae41.jpg

The nacelle grills arent glued on yet and im about 75% done with the paintwork. There is a load of filled around because she suffered a crash landing due to an unprovoked attack from a space monster (my 2 year old... :( ). Anyway, let me know what you guys think

That looks lush lit up, that's for sure. I can definitely see what you mean about the paintwork being time consuming; I'm no expert on the Sovereign class but it looks great to me. :)

The only trouble is, you left the navigation lights and anti-collision beacons off, as you say. This means you will have to take her into spacedock (sounds like she needs it after the run-in with the space monster anyway) and strip down the hull so you can add the lights to it. I know it's anal, but hey - you'll never be happy with her otherwise because she's your dream-build since childhood. Sort of like me with the 1/48 Lightning that I still haven't managed to get done because I can never get a realistic enough metallic finish... ;)

That looks lush lit up, that's for sure. I can definitely see what you mean about the paintwork being time consuming; I'm no expert on the Sovereign class but it looks great to me. :)

The only trouble is, you left the navigation lights and anti-collision beacons off, as you say. This means you will have to take her into spacedock (sounds like she needs it after the run-in with the space monster anyway) and strip down the hull so you can add the lights to it. I know it's anal, but hey - you'll never be happy with her otherwise because she's your dream-build since childhood. Sort of like me with the 1/48 Lightning that I still haven't managed to get done because I can never get a realistic enough metallic finish... ;)

Ive wanted to do that. The only thing is she's together

It would mean taking apart the warp nacelles, primary and secondary hull. I guess it could be done, not a lot of room in there though :-D

Actually, i am going to take it back to spacedock, almost literally. The ERTL kit (and subsequent Round 2 re issue) is set up for the First Contact / Insurrection version of the ship. Between Insurrection and Nemesis she had some work done, structual changes that make her look a lot more streamlined. So my aim is (when I get back to her) to re do the lights, adding strobes and also more white lights for the windows (its not bright enough), and while in there I might as well change her into the nemesis version. You're right Dave, and ive put so much effort into the paintwork that completeing her at anything less than perfect would not be right

Well you've got the Voyager on the go precisely to get your mojo back for this build, so you have plenty of time/opportunity to plan exactly what you want to add to the Enterprise E then. It'll be a pain to take to pieces again, but then hopefully it'll be worth it. Will modding to Nemesis standard muck up a lot of that paintjob?

Well that's a relief - at least you don't have to ruin all those hours of painting. If you'll be risking damaging it, it may be worth putting some masking tape over vulnerable areas and around the bits you'll be working on, just in case you slip with the scriber or sand-paper, etc.!

Thankyou very much. The creepy optician always used to say I had 20/20 eyesight. I cant actually remember the exact set up inside, so I dont think I could do a wirig pic. All the LEDs I used were 3mm, the white and blue were superbright ones. I stuck white and blue ones in for the window lighting to try and get that mixed effect, i think it turned out quite well

• 1 month later...

Those Aztec details! You have the patience of a saint sir! I don't, hence my order for the Aztec decals...there are two versions available from Acreation models - First Contact and Nemesis - the Nemesis aztec scheme is darker. My personal preference is to make it more subtle so I've gone for the FC version.

Your aztec detailing does seem a bit 'heavy' to me - but that's personal preference more than anything - as I say, I prefer more subtle shades.

My main resource for building the E was this excellent build of a bigger model - may be worth a look.

My skills however were very very rusty for the E build but I will upload a few pics of the build once I get the decals sorted - this may take a while due to lack of 'quailty' time with the E!

Incidentally, I used LED strips for the main lighting of my E and will do so again for the Voyager build - you can get a reel of 300 for not a lot of money so may be worth investing in.

<EDIT> Meant to ask if you filled the windows, and if so, with what? Will be doing this for the Voyager build so any tips would be appreciated!

Edited by Quarky

I was considering getting the decals for mine, ive always preferred the Nemesis version for both the structure of the ship and the paintwork. I fancied the challenge with the Aztecs and it was very rewarding, my motivation took a shot in the balls about a year ago though and I havent got back onto working on her since. Ive been really into ST:VOY lately so I started the Voyager for a bit of motivation.

Ive recently decided to buy the resin conversion kit to convert the E into the Nemesis version, it shouldnt effect my paintwork too much and I should be a lot happier after its been done. Also, when I wired her up I was a power n00b with the wiring, so I didnt bother with the blinking lights. Something I really regret, but its going to be worth biting the bullet and putting the effort in, ive come this far so i might as well do a proper job. Im looking forward to doing it.

Ian is an absolute legend. Thats a gorgeous build and actually the one that inspired me E too :D. He tought me everything I know about LEDs and weve been emailing each other awhil, hes a top bloke too. I tend to use 5mm Superbright White LEDs for the lighting inside, preferably flat to ones to give a wider light angle. But you can always sand down round tipped ones to get the same effect, I have however considered using light strips so I may switch to that when I rewire the E. I see what you mean about the strength of the Aztec detailing, it should look a lot more even when its complete and the decals are on it.

For the windows I used araldite 2 part epoxy resin. I taped the outside of the hull and filled from the inside using a tooth pick, slicing the tape on the outside with a stanley blade to remove and air bubbles there might be. For the Voyager I used Micro Kristal Klear, its pretty good stuff and dries pretty fast. I prefer the resin however, so may go back to this on my next build (Ive got the Enterprise A and Bm as well as a Klingon D7)

I would love to see some pictures fo your E if you get a sec, just stick a WIP thread up. The guys here are very supportive and it helps a lot with motivation (especially when you have a 2 year old :op)