An XJ220 and an AC Cobra

Graham77

Well all of the pieces are coming together nicely (for a change), Firstly the air intakes and the rear wheel arches were added

IMG_3536.jpg

Then I mated the interior to the chassis and came up with this

IMG_3537.jpg

And finally added the wheels to virtually complete the chassis

IMG_3540.jpg

Just the turbochargers to add to the engine and some touch up painting and weathering then the chassis is complete. I had thought about adding some cables but its all got a bit tight in there, I am now even more impressed with those car modellers that can add the leads etc to the engines very fiddly and still a tad above my ability level (although I may have a go at it on the Cobra).

The bodywork is also nearly finished with just the glazing to add although I think I will join the body to the chassis first then add the windows so they don't pop out during the twisting and stretching that I guess will be needed to make it fit. Hopefully in the next couple of days this may be making its way to the gallery

Cheers for now

Graham

All together now with the glazing test fitted it is nearly there

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

With the windows on the interior is barely visible so I may trim one of them as if the window was down and has anyone ever used white glue on tinted windows (PVA) I know it dries clear but will that look bad amongst all the black. Could you mix it with black paint to get a black glue? I am not sure and would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Finally where do I find a 1/24 Angelina Jolie to steal it......

Cheers

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

While pondering how to attach the windows the good old boys got dropped off by the postman, so its out with the Cobra (for now...bigger plans for that one) and in with a good old Dodge Charger that is way more appropriate for this build.... can't wait to get started on it.

IMG_3552.jpg

Keep up the good work lads just over a month to go now

Graham

Edited by Graham77

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished but at the end of the GB this is how the 220 looks, glazing is in and opened one of the windows so the interior could be seen better

34e0a45c.jpg

8cd57a60.jpg

37194d1a.jpg

There is a little bit of paint to touch up and a couple of decals to go on and the Charger and Cobra will be heading to the vehicle section soon

Cheers for all the hints and tips along the way

Graham

Decals are on and the paint is touched up. I have caught the car bug again and hope to fly through the charger (although having just read AMW's review of the General Lee I have I am slightly scared)

Here are the last pics of the 220. Will have a play with my wife's fancy camera to get a couple of pics for the gallery but for now this one is complete

9bf393d2.jpg

878e7746.jpg

Cheers

Graham

So on with the charger and unfortunately the mag had a fairly accurate report, the fit doesn't seem great and there is a lot of flash and mould lines over most parts. Fortunately the weather was good this evening so it was a good night to sit outside sanding down the body, once i get some primer on i'll see if it has been thoroughly smoothed out. Despite all this I am looking forward to putting it together and sorting out the issues. Enough words here are some pictures

First most of the kit parts, you can see the completed roll cage (we'll see how well it fits later)

30d697c9.jpg

A close up of the nose and the bonnet (fit is poor but hopefully the magazine solution will be easyish to implement

9fbeedb4.jpg

And finally the engine, looking forward to getting some paint and maybe some wiring onto this

6651cd9b.jpg

More later on in the week

Keep building chaps I'll see yu at the finishing line

Cheers

Graham

Record time is order of the day and hence a very brief post.

Firstly a bit of an overview in the spray booth (Or Boden box as my wife calls them)

af9c0c06.jpg

There is loads of flash etc on this kit however after a bit of tidying up the kit is fitting together quite well, with the exception of the bumpers and the roll cage which are going to be the main stumbling blocks

The engine has a bit of colour to it now and has been test fitted to the chassis and the rear running gear to see how it looks

034b88c0.jpg

2c477446.jpg

Finally for now I am using the chrome of the chrome parts and here are the wheels with their first coat of black and also the headers that have had a coat of Matt varnish to try and take some of the shine off them

1f1c28b6.jpg

Thanks for looking in, good luck to all of you taking advantage of Mish's generosity and having a blitz at the end of this build, keep up the good work when you get the time

More later

Graham

P.S Since taking the piccies the bumpers have been dry fitted after some sanding and filling of the body work (pain in the butt but actually quite rewarding looking forward to sanding prepping and painting and seeing how it all looks).... the roll cage though is still a pain in the butt but I am going to sleep on that problem and see how it goes

A little more progress the rear end has been cleaned up and primed ready for some paint as has the main body although that needs a little more sanding and some more primer before taking on the orange appearance

0be19028.jpg

And the wheels are ready to go on to the chassis

2895eff6.jpg

Have a week on call now for work so hopefully stays quiet and should get to finish this one off

Cheers

Graham

Little time to post but quite a bit of progress. The chassis and interior are as good as done now, although I think the wheels need altering once the body has gone on according to the article. The bodywork has been sprayed orange, albeit brighter than I expected and currently has halfords lacquer drying ( which has dulled the bright orange, is this normal?)

A couple of pics to show the progress

c95b6c24.jpg

c3602c71.jpg

Now to sort out the rollcage, add the decals and trim and make it shiny again

Cheers

Graham

Edited by Graham77

Sadly time has defeated me for the charger. I got some more of it done today but the bits left are time consuming and really need time to allow paint (and quickshine) to dry before doing anymore. Hopefully though it should be finished early next week so I can start finishing off some other GB entries before the USAAF and the airliner GB kick off later in the year. It has been a battle this kit but one I have enjoyed. Here is the last pic for the GB a nice shiny bodyshell ready for the windscreens and the decals.

2bb63f39.jpg

Good luck to anyone who is going down to the wire to finish a model for tomorrow and hopefully soon I should have a poll up to see who gets to pick the prizes

Cheers

Graham

• 2 weeks later...