Poor Airbrush Results

uggywuggy

Hi All

Like a few I've seen on this site I'm returning to modelling after a 20 year break !

Decided to try airbrushing for a change and bought a Revell starter kit (v. basic airbrush plus air can) to see what I thought however haven't been too impressed with results so far.

Built Harrier FRS1 and used a can of Tamiya spray paint (bought before I got the brush) which seemed to work pretty well, applied decals then though I'd give it a topcoat of Revell clear matt with the brush but it all went pear shaped, very mottled/patchy effect and bit of a mess - maybe down to bad choice of Tamiya/Revell combo.

So went onto to try out a gloss finish on a Spit using all Revell paints but the finish just doesn't appear as smooth or glossy as I'd like. Wondering if the temperature would affect the drying as I do this in our cellar (the only place where I can get peace from kids, dog & wife in that order) and it can be colder than normal room temperature.

Anyway interested in your thoughts and any recommendations for a proper airbrush & quiet compressor.

Nice site BTW !

Cheers

MachineMart is a good place to get a decent compressor at a reasonable price :thumbsup:

I prefer Humbrol & Xtracolour enamels with Humbrol Glosscote/Mattcote (as applicable) :)

If the "very basic" part means an airbrush where the paint is kept in a bottle, then dragged out by air flowing over the top of the nipple, that could be the problem. In a "true" airbrush, the paint is mixed with the air, inside the body, then expelled as a paint/air mixture, giving a much finer spray (they're known as "internal-mix" airbrushes, for this reason.)

There are too many airbrushes, to list here (everyone has his/her own favourite, anyway,) but it pays to handle them, if you can. I have large hands, so Badger brushes feel too delicate. I, therefore, use a Paasche VL double-action. Single action means that you pre-set the pattern, then start the airflow; double -action means that the trigger controls air, and paint, flow at the same time. This can look daunting, but, once mastered, is very rewarding.

Compressors, like airbrushes, are many, and varied. Often, the very quiet ones use mechanics almost identical to the "innards" of a fridge. Again, inspection, and listening, is advisable, but look for the flow of air. There should be a minimum of .5cu.ft., per minute. Any less, and it might not provide enough air for your brush, and the flow, of paint, will "pulse," and you'll never get consistent results.

Edgar

From what you describe I think the cooler air temperature is the root of your problems Uggywuggy.

If you are spraying in a low enough temperature condensation can form in the paint and spoil the finish, although this is my experience from using spray-guns in open workshops I would think the same principle would hold true for a smaller airbrush.

Is there any way you can bring a small heater into your celler to pre-warm the room before you start?

:welcome: along Uggy ;)

Lots of experience here, so your airbrush woes won't last long. I'm a firm believer in buy cheap, buy twice... or buy thrice in my case. I bought a Badger Crescendo, then a Badger 100XF which I never got on with, and finally got a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity (beautiful, quite expensive, and imported from the US, even though it's made in Germany :doh: ). I also stumped up decent money for a SilAir 15a compressor, which is effectively silent in operation, and perfectly adequate for my needs. All in all, that's about £400-£500 of gear, but I'm happy with it, get decent results & apart from a few spares & some oil for the compressor, it's very cheap to run.

I'm not saying you should buy exactly the same kit as I have, just to research carefully before spending out, and take your time getting to know your brush. As an alternative to the H&S, you could try an Iwata brush and/or compressor, which a lot of people get good results from :)

HTH, and make yourself at home ^_^

All in all, that's about £400-£500 of gear, but I'm happy with it, get decent results & apart from a few spares & some oil for the compressor, it's very cheap to run.

Damn Mike thats a lot of dosh to fork out :analintruder:

Maybe you need to come to me to learn a trick or two about finding good stuff at good prices.

My 2 Badger a/brushes + compressor cost less than £100.

Oh well I guess some ppl dont worry about forking out their hard-earned dosh :)

Hi uggywuggy, welcome aboard mate.

I'm one of those returning to modelling after a 20 year break, I've bought a Badger 200NH bottom feed single action a/b off of e-bay ( new) for £30, and I've also bought a Ripmax T-RCP104 compressor, with air tank (no pulsing), air regulator with pressure guage and water trap for £150. HTH :beer: