Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747-400

Leadsolo

Ongoing project involving a Revell kit and the brand new Two Six decals for the Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747-400. I know only G-VROM 'Barbarella' and G-VROY 'Pretty Woman' have been painted in the new scheme but the others will no doubt follow and I want to build G-VHOT 'Tubular Belle' 'cos I flew in it othe US some time ago.

The decal sheet lists the colour as Gloss Virgin Grey, Xtracolour X367 and X368. I can't get to Hannants for some time and they won't post paints without a kit.

Can anyone tell me what the Virgin Grey colour really is - FS, BS Tamiya etc please? Also are there more easily accessible paints for Boeing Grey and Coroguard???

:please::pray:

Obliged for any help you can offer.

Ongoing project involving a Revell kit and the brand new Two Six decals for the Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747-400. I know only G-VROM 'Barbarella' and G-VROY 'Pretty Woman' have been painted in the new scheme but the others will no doubt follow and I want to build G-VHOT 'Tubular Belle' 'cos I flew in it othe US some time ago.

The decal sheet lists the colour as Gloss Virgin Grey, Xtracolour X367 and X368. I can't get to Hannants for some time and they won't post paints without a kit.

Can anyone tell me what the Virgin Grey colour really is - FS, BS Tamiya etc please? Also are there more easily accessible paints for Boeing Grey and Coroguard???

:please::pray:

Obliged for any help you can offer.

Hey

Cant help you for virgin grey.

For boeing grey the best match is IMHO the Italeri/Testors Modelmaster Canadian Voodoo Grey (color nr 2039, FS 16515). In some forum one guy tried that one on a wing of a real 737 and it was same taint but lighter (exactly right for a scale effect). I prefer using corogard decals, but when necessary I used modelmaster gunship gray mixed with a bit of gunze dark iron metallizer inside.

Petr is right, the only other color that comes close to the Xtracolor range is Brunswick Green from Humbrol (Gloss #3) for the CityBird Green. There are no other equivalent colors in the FS range to match the airliner colors since they make them from actual color samples from the airlines themselves and that includes any paint makers. So you can spend hours on end to try to make some mix and you will still probably be far away. You can play a lot with Grey's so it's a matter of how much you want to close.

Sorry could not help you more.

T/care

Jesse

The Xtracolor paints mentioned are the best for the Virgin scheme. It is a 2 part pearlescent effect. There is no colour in any other range that I have found that comes near the effect the Xtracolour paints give. Hannants went to great lengths to get it right.

I'm afraid this hasn't been hopeful to your cause.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice. It looks like a trip to Hannants for me next week then. Thankfully I have a day off so hopefully the London shop will be able to get it in for me...it's a long long way to Lowestoft!

"keefr22" - Thanks for the PM info - I'll take a look at that as well.

If I get it halfway decent, I'll probably get some pics up at some point. It's for a magazine so they will have first go with the pics of course.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Since Jonathan's question has been answered, I guess I can switch a bit to Richard question. The problem is not with the stores, it's more a postal problem, here in Canada and in the USA (as per Russell from AHS), they forbid shipping liquids, one of my friends lost both orders because they found out the package contained liquids and they destroyed them.

A few months ago I took a big chance and ordered some paint from Hawkeye and to my surprise I received the package, I was very lucky because one of the bottle was starting to leak but it did not reach the outer packaging. so, it's like flipping a coin...

Jesse

Thanks for all the advice and pointers. :thumbsup2:

In the end, as I had an extended weekend I took a trip to Hannants shop and picked up the Boeing Grey and the two Virgin Atlantic colours...as well as some other bits and pieces which weren't entirely necessary or planned... :blush:

I've just spent a while priming the model in white. As I'd been using Green Stuff for filler, the white took a few coats to cover it :rolleyes:

Now it's back to checking pics to get the right bits greyed off, corogarded (or a close approximation thereof) and metallised. Then on with the other colours...