detailing of the avro lancaster.

Ian Lanc

hi guys,

heres a few detail pictures of the avro lancaster bomber, could help in making yours look alot nicer ......

jhfds021cn0.jpg

display the landing lights down.

jhfds022xg0.jpg

drill out the nav' lights then put in a bit of clear red/green/silver.

jhfds023uk3.jpg

jhfds024pi1.jpg

jhfds031jp1.jpg

wheel door supports !! these are always missed out.

jhfds025zx4.jpg

the hieght of the tail wheel depended on if it was bombed up or not or flying !

jhfds026by5.jpg

jhfds027zv5.jpg

these lights are missed out aswell not even shown on a tamiya lanc'.

jhfds030hk6.jpg

jhfds032dg3.jpg

jhfds033tr9.jpg

jhfds035hp0.jpg

this is depicted on the airfix lancaster !!

jhfds036gk6.jpg

jhfds034ot2.jpg

use the correct blister on your model [revell/hasegowa]

ian. :hypnotised:

Hi Ian,

All very useful stuff, I'm sure that some off the guys will find it very helpful.

If you have the relevant drawing, it might be useful to point out the incorrect fuselgae window position on the Tamiya kits.

Regards,

Hi Ian,

If you have the relevant drawing, it might be useful to point out the incorrect fuselgae window position on the Tamiya kits.

Regards,

:boom: thanks graham :thumbsup2: i forgot all about the tamiya lanc's window's being WRONG, anyone take note this goes to 'david gibson' aswell !!, the tamiya kit has to be altered to represent the below picture, <_< this is how they should look......

kjh002wa5.jpg

ian

Brilliant drawings Ian, thanks very much. I've never understood why the linkages from the main undercarriage to the u/c doors were missed out by Hasegawa, they added some pathetic stubby things but the wrong length and the wrong angle! When I put them in on my model as they should be, they gave a much better impression of the real Lanc u/c. Will add those drawings to my Lanc file!

regards

Max

Good tip on the landing lights matey,I never thought of that.

Just looking at my Revell Lanc now(working on the stbd engines actually).They've depicted the aft-most downward ident light but not the two that go under the H2S blister.

I've already thought of fitting gun rollers to the mid upper.

Revell have also missed the DF loop from under the greenhouse and the anti shimmy tail wheel.

Mark

the linkages from the main undercarriage to the u/c doors were missed out by Hasegawa, they added some pathetic stubby things but the wrong length and the wrong angle!

They are there on the kit. They simply have to be bent to meet the doors.

Notice how the Revell kit has no representation of the trailing edge nav lights and that the astrodome in the wrong shape and size (including the smaller option - the taller one is for post war variants)

Cheers for the illustrations Ian. I suppose I'm going to have to correct that window now. :undecided:

Dave

Yeah... must remember that when I finally tackle mine! :rolleyes:

They are there on the kit. They simply have to be bent to meet the doors.

Yes Len, I accept that they are there on the kit...if you know what you're looking for and what their significance is. I didn't to begin with, I thought "What are these bits going nowhere for on the undercart?" and it took some research to find out. Even then, I don't expect to pay nearly 30 quid for a kit where I have to bend bits out, with the risk of snapping off, and with no direction whatsoever.

regards

Max

Where did you get those drawings!! Inquiring minds wanna buy some :).

the plans are from the AERODATA INTERNATIONAL, N'10. the plans where done by A. GRANGER and it was published in 1979 so as for buying one ! all i can say is good look as its been out of print since 1983, the book is only 20 pages big but its full of goodies :popcorn: like five nice close up pictures of the first lancaster, the one that had an all yellow underside :wicked: this book only cost me 50p i wonder what its worth now !!

their address WAS......

vintage aviation publications.

VAP house,

station field industrial estate,

kidlington,

oxford,

ox51ll.

you never know some old book shop around the oxford area may still have some knocking about in their back rooms :shocked:

have a look at some of these links you never know :thumbsup2:

http://www.aviation-links.co.uk/pubs.html#V

http://www.garmin-air-race.freeola.com/lin...0listing/15.htm

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/uk/ukmag05.htm

http://www.booklovers.co.uk/default.asp

ian.

where from galgos ? off any of the links.

ian.

I always use Abe books via Google: I think it was a bookshop in Leicester, unfortunately it was the only one they had.

Max

I reckon he's trying to corner the market Mark, so he can make his fortune! Make me an offer Ian!!

Max

i wish :wicked: seen one go on ebay and fetch £35 :rant: for a 20 page book !! some people are just bonkers when it comes to ebay, i bet mark is on the look out now for one :rofl:

as for the advice on re-positioning the window, this is the tamiya lanc' window and where it shouldn't be, the window needs to look like the picture i put up....

kjh002wa5.jpg

fgdsve8.jpg

the little nobley bits on the side of the fuselage are for areal fixing point, so don't remove them,there is a wire which comes down from the main areal fix's to the first notch then goes into the bottom one, alot of guys don't know what they are for !!

ian

Edited by Ian Lanc

i wish :wicked: seen one go on ebay and fetch £35 :rant: for a 20 page book !! some people are just bonkers when it comes to ebay, i bet mark is on the look out now for one :rofl:

as for the advice on re-positioning the window, this is the tamiya lanc' window and where it shouldn't be, the window needs to look like the picture i put up....

kjh002wa5.jpg

fgdsve8.jpg

the little nobley bits on the side of the fuselage are for areal fixing point, so don't remove them,there is a wire which comes down from the main areal fix's to the first notch then goes into the bottom one, alot of guys don't know what they are for !!

ian

Who?Moi? :spider:

Has the cover got an upper view and scrap views of UL*N2/PD235 on it?

Mark

Edited by Miggers