Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

NG899

Airfix Sea Harriers FRS.1 and FA.2

Recommended Posts

Recce phreak,

Every Sea Harrier had the F95 fitted, if you look at the picture of 003 on LUST it's the black tear drop you can see on the starboard side of the fuselage between the AoA probe and starboard pitot tube.

It took great black and white photos and could take IR film too. It was aimed by means of a china graph cross on the canopy roughly aligned with the pilot's shoulder. It was started and stopped by depressing the paddle switch on the control column.

Long winded way of saying that most jets at some point did recce whether tasked or not. The camera provided some great images in The Balkans and was very handy for opportunity shots too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the airfix 1/72 fa2 on the go, fitted the canopy and there is a gap at the rear, with the pointy bit floating in the air, should this be?

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stu,

The simple answer is NO, there shouldn't be a gap.  In their 1:48th scale kit there's a rear bulkhead for the canopy with an extension at right angles which comes out a tad under the tip of the rear of the canopy.  Search Sea Harrier canopies and you should find some photos to help.  Not being a 1:72nd scale modeller I've not had that problem!  You could also check some of the builds of the kit here on BM and see what others have done.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Me again, couple of uick question re the third option in the FRS1, is dark sea grey the correct grey? And two is there a good extra dark sea grey in the Vallejo model colour range?  edit ansered the 2nd question, gunship grey is pretty similar to ESDG which is in vallejos line

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Me again, couple of uick question re the third option in the FRS1, is dark sea grey the correct grey? And two is there a good extra dark sea grey in the Vallejo model colour range?  edit ansered the 2nd question, gunship grey is pretty similar to ESDG which is in vallejos line

 

 

yes, they were painted Dark Sea Grey from about 1983/4 until the FA2 came into service (except a couple of specials about 1990)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Me again, couple of uick question re the third option in the FRS1, is dark sea grey the correct grey? And two is there a good extra dark sea grey in the Vallejo model colour range?  edit ansered the 2nd question, gunship grey is pretty similar to ESDG which is in vallejos line

 

I've used several times Vallejo 867 Dark Blue Grey for EDSG and IMHO it's a good match, well capturing the blue hue of this colour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

 

I've used several times Vallejo 867 Dark Blue Grey for EDSG and IMHO it's a good match, well capturing the blue hue of this colour

Thanks, I went with FS36118 Dark Sea Green, which at least the model air version looks a good one as well, and I discovered to my surprise that Xtrarlcyrix ESDG and FS36118 are virtually the same, and even if the Vallejo proves not blue enough I can always switch to that as my go to FS36118 and use the XA as ESSG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks, I went with FS36118 Dark Sea Green, which at least the model air version looks a good one as well, and I discovered to my surprise that Xtrarlcyrix ESDG and FS36118 are virtually the same, and even if the Vallejo proves not blue enough I can always switch to that as my go to FS36118 and use the XA as ESSG.

 

Is that 868 Dark Sea Green ? If so this is a very dark colour, IMHO well darker than 36118, so much that I use it to reproduce RLM 74 on WW2 Luftwaffe aircrafts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

 

Is that 868 Dark Sea Green ? If so this is a very dark colour, IMHO well darker than 36118, so much that I use it to reproduce RLM 74 on WW2 Luftwaffe aircrafts

Blast. As I said the model air version is an excellent EDSG, goes to show can't always trust companies to be internally conistent. Oh well guess Ill be using the Xtraclryix and replacing my humbrol RLM74

 

fairey-gannet-as-mk4-revell.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The paint on that Gannet looks pretty good.

To give you an'idea of what 868 looks like, I used this for the darker grey on this 109:

 

IMG_3070_zps3z5fffot.jpg

 

As you see the colour is quite dark and has no blue in it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes that is quite a difference, yet vallejo call them by the same name....oh well, might go and buy some humbrol 123 instead or use the Xtracrylix 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paint arrived today, actually looks better than that 109, obviously not EDSG, but actually a damn good gunship grey, better than the Xtracrylix Gunship grey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not quite the right thread, but as its a sticky and relevent, what needs to be done to convert a frs1 into a fa 2? 

A very quick "off the top of my head" list

 

  • Change the radome from the pointed version used by the FRS Mk.1 to the more bulbous example used by the F/A Mk.2
  • Add a 350mm fuselage extension to the rear fuselage behind the wings
  • Remove the mid-wing leading edge dogtooth and add a new dogtooth nearer to the wing root leading edges
  • During its life the F/A Mk.2's Doppler navigation system was replaced by a GPS system so you may need to remove the yellow/brown Doppler antennas from beneath the front fuselage and add a white circular GPS antenna to the top of the fuselage in front of the tail plane
  • Add some additional cooling vents to the sides of the rear fuselage

 

Hope this helps

 

 

 

 

Edited by Richard E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A very quick "off the top of my head" list

 

  • Change the radome from the pointed version used by the FRS Mk.1 to the more bulbous example used by the F/A Mk.2
  • Add a 350mm fuselage extension to the rear fuselage behind the wings
  • Remove the mid-wing leading edge dogtooth and add a new dogtooth nearer to the wing root leading edges
  • During its life the F/A Mk.2's Doppler navigation system was replaced by a GPS system so you may need to remove the yellow/brown Doppler antennas from beneath the front fuselage and add a white circular GPS antenna to the top of the fuselage in front of the tail plane
  • Add some additional cooling vents to the sides of the rear fuselage

 

Hope this helps

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks Richard, more tricky than I had envisioned, though the only sticky point is the dogtooth change, fairly doabe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

 

Thanks Richard, more tricky than I had envisioned, though the only sticky point is the dogtooth change, fairly doabe.

Probably not that daunting if you can find some good plan top views of the FRS Mk.1 and F/A Mk.2, it's not a modification I've attempted but I imagine it would just need some filling and cutting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 - Add probe to the fin and additional probes to the nose. There is a small intake on the side of the nose too

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

looks like my best option is to just buy the cheap xtrakit from hannants and salvage the wings and rear fuselage +probe  extension and throw the rest away, proably cheaper than buying the whirlybird conversion from abroad which may not fit my frs1

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

If it's the Airfix FRS1, then I'd use as much of the Xtrakit one as possible

 

haseagwa :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×