Taiwanese AF Mirage 2000D

Lord Riot

A change from all the RAF stuff, following a trip to Taiwan I'm going to make a Mirage and an F-16 in their colours.

e9gfgx.jpg

The Mirage came with Taiwanese roundels, and I've got some Bestfong F-16 decals with enough numbers to use some on the Mirage too.

The colours translated to Humbrol 127 and 144, though the latter seems a bit dark compared to photos of the real jet, so I might use a different medium grey.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, exdraken said:

but take care, these planes are Mirage 2000-5DIs, not classical french Ds!

different radom and spine, apart from being only air to air capabale

And the Italeri kit isn't a classical French D either ... as it doesn't have the changed spine!  Not sure about the radome.  

• Sad 1

Don't worry, AFAIK none of any existing plastic model supplies the right Antilope V nose cone for French N/D versions... It's not a shape (every nose cone whatever the Mirage 2000 version has the same shape !)  but paneling issue because nobody seems to know about the added frame in front of the classical frame 1 of the Mirage 2000 cell...

The Mirage 2000-5Di is like a B version (I'm talking about missions...) : a training two-seater, not a mud mover ! ;)

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Don't worry, AFAIK none of any existing plastic model supplies the right Antilope V nose cone for French N/D versions... It's not a shape (every nose cone whatever the Mirage 2000 version has the same shape !)  but paneling issue because nobody seems to know about the added frame in front of the classical frame 1 of the Mirage 2000 cell...

The Mirage 2000-5Di is like a B version (I'm talking about missions...) : a training two-seater, not a mud mover ! ;)

yeah... but it is about different colors for the longer radome! a short radome Mirage 2000-5(DI) would look strange after all!

regarding the rest,

in 1/48, the Heller 2000N has a short (Antilope) radar, whereas the Airfix 2000B (same basic mould) has the longer fighter radar cone.

Kinetic did not get it right in their more recent release though!

The camo pattern suggested for the Taiwanese colours were completely different to photos of real Taiwanese Mirages. This is the pattern copied from photos. It's a nice kit though, goes together well.

rhiq.jpg

2eywd3n.jpg