No. 3 Sq. RAAF P-51K's

72modeler

Howdy, styrene warriors!

I just stumbled onto a site that has  very comprehensive photos, text, and color profiles of the color schemes and markings used on RAAF 3 Squadron Mustangs, and I wanted to share it with you all; hoping this is a new post and not already on BM. Enjoy- some real beauties here!

Mike

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/Mustangs/3 Sqn P-51K P1.htm

• Like 1

Basically the same except for the prop (the so called Dallas canopy is not unique to the K version, also being used on quite a few P-51Ds).

Oh and BTW I wrote that article a decade ago, so any extra info needed ask here and I will see if I can help.

Steve Mackenzie

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hornet133 said:

Basically the same except for the prop (the so called Dallas canopy is not unique to the K version, also being used on quite a few P-51Ds).

Oh and BTW I wrote that article a decade ago, so any extra info needed ask here and I will see if I can help.

Steve Mackenzie

Steve,

Yep- I got so excited when I found the site that I didn't think to look at all the photos for the prop type- of course the K used the Aeroproducts prop  w/o cuffs and the D used the Hamilton Standard cuffed prop; I'm sure Mustang aficionados are aware to check for the presence of  the louvered panels on the lower cowling...BTW, your article is outstanding; it sure has stood the test of time- thanks for writing it, and I apologize for not proofing before sending. (The fingers are faster than the brain at my age, sad to say!) I will change the title of my post- thanks for correcting my blunder.

Mike  

• Like 1

• 72modeler changed the title to No. 3 Sq. RAAF P-51K's

Mike,

As Steve said, not much else different except the prop on the K, and I'm not sure, but perhaps 3 Squadron received some Ds. I think most understood what you meant. To be completely accurate it should be Mustang IV as the RAF and Commonwealth called it, but then you get people correcting you about it being a IVa or a IV. It's a fun game, and there's always someone to correct you. :-) 

Thanks for reminding me of that site. It's still a very valuable resource for people doing RAAF Mustangs...or Commonwealth for that matter. 

Richard

• Like 1