A question about Kiev class carriers

I just cracked open the Trumpeter Kiev/Minsk in 1/550 scale.

I wanted to do some minor improvement, e.g. opening the galleries in stern area. One part left me wondering:

02164137.jpg

I can't figure out what this rectangular, rusty, corrugated opening on the left side of the stern is. Is that a gate to a welldeck (hope that's the right term) or a trash compactor or...? It is depicted relatively simplified in the kit, so I want to know more so I can understand how it's constructed.

I believe that this is a part of the towed sonar array that was part of many Soviet era warships.

Riiiight. That makes sense. I think in Flankerman's picture collection there is also a pic of that towed sonar device. So would you suggest this rusted corrugated part is a kind of gate that opens and from where one would release this towed sonar?

I don't have any pictures but there is a door that opens up and exposes an opening where the variable depth sonar is let out on a cable of sorts. In the book Janes Fighting Ships 1990-91 on page 599 there is a picture of the modified Kiev class aircraft carrier Baku that faintly shows a cable coming out of the top half of the opening of the Variable Depth Sonar. I can only conclude that the hatch opens and closes at a hinge at the bottom of the installation.

The VDS is deployed from the doors in the centre of the transom. Unsure what the rusty area next to the doors is, but it looks more like a tug pushing point.

The VDS is deployed from the doors in the centre of the transom. Unsure what the rusty area next to the doors is, but it looks more like a tug pushing point.

It looks concave to me and in all pictures it seems to be painted black. Would a tugboat steer right on that part and literally push the ship by that? Than these black lines could be some kind of rubber padding?

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a little old now, but it looks like the query went unanswered. Here's a view of the Kiev as it was last year when I went aboard. The area Cheezburger refers to is to the left of the towed sonar array doors.

40333570510_41a8c9a5a6_b.jpgKiev 100

It looks like it could be a pushing point for tugs, considering the centre of the transom is the big doors. Also, there are vertical reinforcing strips in the inset section. The next photo shows the big double doors from the outside and inside.

40333570860_17249e480a_b.jpgKiev 97

27269448607_9bec4de182_b.jpgKiev 96

Looks like the Kiev is in better condition than the Minsk was when Flankerman visited! The Kiev is at the Binhai Aircraft Carrier Theme Park, in the Binhai New Area. Images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147661871@N04/albums/72157695139636851/page1/

• Thanks 2

The Kiev/Minsk class is one of my all-time favourite Soviet warships, along with the Kirov class battlecruisers, and yet no-one has produced the Kiev in 1:350 scale. :confused:

Thanks for posting the link to your walkaround images. :thumbsup:

Mike