F-35 possible no show at RIAT

snapper_city

Nothing is too big to fail.

The problem now is how much will an individual airframe cost? As the orders fall off, the aircraft will become unaffordable.

What year would you like them in? Its pretty easy to figure it out if you're familiar with the system.

we now have a lot of women in the Cabinet. As I doubt many have the character of Mrs T, I suspect the Defence budget will come in for more scrutiny. Women don't like wars in general. They would rather spend it on child benefit.

History shows that weakness and lack of resolve (perceived or real) in Defence invites war. Those who don't like wars (and I do not agree with your sexist assessment of the Cabinet - no sane person likes wars) should support strong (but not aggressive) defence. Look at Sweden. The ability to pay Child benefit to those who need it is a very real advantage of stability and security.

Mrs T learned this lesson the hard way, after giving the wrong signal to the world and leaving the Falklands open to invasion, many British (and Argentinian) servicemen paid the price of restoring an uneasy equilibrium.

FMT

Edited by gengriz

Lets be sensible here.

1. Money put into F-35 has gone, we can't afford to canx and start again.

2. We cannot afford to buy shedloads of F-18's, we cannot afford to train and employ the guys to keep them going.

3. Every F-35 we buy is recycling money back into the British economy, providing British jobs.

4. Every F-18 we buy is money into the US economy.

5. If we were to buy F-18's what are we gonna launch them off other than the flatlands of Norfolk, certainly they are not coming off the carriers...

6. Because without investing massively in EMCAT/EMALS (or whatever the future system will be called) we cannot fit Cats to the PoW and QE.

7. No government will put what will be unproven technology to work as Cats no the Carriers, as we know PR is everything nowadays...(Nimrod MRA4 went because of it!)

8. The aircraft is a genuine step up in capability for first night strike capability in any future conflict (as long as the conflict is post 2020 !!), I fail to understand what is not too like.

9. For the foreseeable future it will provide us with the best opportunity of getting big exploding things into the nasty mans back garden and return the growbag driving back home for Tea and Medals...growbags on nasty mans TV having been giving a kicking, confessing to bombing innocent women & kids not good PR (see above).

10. Cost of airframes is obviously an issue...but maybe the country needs a debate about what it wants from its Armed Forces, and indeed what it wants the nations position in the world to be seen as.

11. The Nimrod MRA4 chop bears no relation to

• Like 2