1/1000 USS Enterprise 1701 refit.

This is just a basic, out-of-box build with no lighting as I've yet to venture into the world of electronic wiring!

My original plan was to aim for the pearlescent effect seen on the TMP studio model, however I couldn't get my pearlescent medium to airbrush very well, so I hedged my bets and settled for the coat of Tamiya pearl white spray that I'd applied over a white undercoat. The end result is a little on the light side compared to what we see on our screens (and not as beautiful!), but I'm reasonably pleased with the pay-off, and the old gal still looks fine in white! At first I'd considered a panel wash, but thought twice and decided to let the model do the talking due to the scale.

Next step was the kit's extensive Aztec decal coverage, which visually I am extremely impressed with; however these were the hardest decals I've ever had to work with. They were very brittle, and I couldn't get them to slide very much, so there's a few mistakes in there. A coat of Revell acrylic matt varnish smartened things up nicely. Next, the clear parts for the nacelles, deflector dish, torpedo launcher and impulse engine were airbrushed with Tamiya clear paints. I installed a paper screen inside the deflector housing to hide the models innards; I painted it in an attempt to mimic a glowing effect, but it can't be seen very well through the shadow and the dish part.

Overall the kit was a joy to build and a challenge to finish - the decals are well worth the frustration as they lend a feel of authenticity to the model.

Thanks for looking, and as usual any comments etc are most welcome.

Regards, Ross.

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01936.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01937.jpgDSC01939.jpg

• Like 4

Nice result there, Ross!

Gonna go for the 1.350 -A ? :devil:

Cheers. I'd love a crack at the 1/350, but it's a bit too pricey for me! I would like to do the 1/1000 version again though - this time in light grey, so if I can find the appropriate decals then 1701-A will probably make it onto the wish list.

Regards, Ross.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

nice work , looks great, im trying to do the same kit but wanted to put some lights in it but cant seem to work them out lol

Cheers. I found the folks at Matalan very helpful when trying to light a Titanic; they asked me what I needed and was aiming for, and then worked out the wiring for me. Trouble was I went and hooked it up backwards by mistake and the LEDs all burned out!

I think the plastic on this Enterprise has quite a high degree of transparency - mine seems to let some sunlight pass through despite two coats of paint and some varnish. If I ever try to light one I'll probably give the inside a coat of silver, or black, or both.

Lovely job there. When I built mine a few years ago, I just got the local car paint place to mix me up a Pearlescent White rattle can and I was very pleased with the result.

Thanks; did that cost very much? The Tamiya pearlescent spray isn't quite up to it on it's own and I'd definitely be interested in an easy alternative.

Regards, Ross.

• 2 weeks later...