Paint Drying On Needle During Spraying

hendie

I am brand new in the world of airbrushing. I recently purchased a Paasche Millennium double action airbrush and a Paasche D3000R compressor with air tank. So far I have used the set up for about 20 minutes in total.

Today I was spraying Testors Acrylic Gloss Black. My compressor was set at 20 psi

When I had finished and was cleaning the airbrush, I noticed that a lot of paint had dried on the needle.

I was spraying the gloss black as it comes from the bottle. Should I have thinned the paint? If so, by how much, and what with?

Is my pressure set too high? or too low?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like you need to thin the paint, preferably with a retardant.

Winsor and Newton do a couple of types, have a search around on BM for the two suggested ones.

You can get them from Hobbit Craft.

Hope that helps.

Rick.

I must admit I've never used Testors paints though, some one else on here may have a better suggestion for what to thin it with.

The W&N works well with Tamiya, Xtracrylix and Vallejo acrylics in my own experience.

Good luck and welcome to airbrushing, you'll be amazed how much it helps your builds!

Rick.

Hendie, with acrylics you will always get some paint drying on the needle. As Rick says, if you use a couple of drops of retarder mixed in with the paint in the airbrush paint cup, it will slow the drying down.

I have never used Testors but a good start, as with all paints, is to thin it with the manufacturers own thinner, in this case testors own acrylic thinner. Start with a 50:50 mix and then add either paint or thinner to get a nice thin mix, the same consistency as milk, is the usual cliche

You do not want to go higher than 20 psi

Bruce