Humbrol Metalcote and Varnish?

Spookytooth

I am thinking aboutusing Humbrol Metalcote to spray a F84 with.

But I am not sure when it comes to putting the decals on wether I should apply gloss varnish first.

Also how should one seal the completed job.

I have not got any Klear/Future!!

Any suggestions please.

From a newbie trying out different finishes.

Polished Metalcote has a decently gloss finish, but a little more couldn't hurt. If you can spray the gloss varnish, you'll avoid any risk of lifting the paint (which Metalcote tends to do if you so much as go near it after you've polished it). Sealing, again, should be straightforward with more varnish (gloss or matt to suit). People who use Klear are very happy to use it to seal decals but, in truth, decal setting solutions plus varnish are equally effective.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have similar questions so rather than start another I`ll use this one.

Polished Metalcote has a decently gloss finish, but a little more couldn't hurt. If you can spray the gloss varnish, you'll avoid any risk of lifting the paint (which Metalcote tends to do if you so much as go near it after you've polished it). Sealing, again, should be straightforward with more varnish (gloss or matt to suit). People who use Klear are very happy to use it to seal decals but, in truth, decal setting solutions plus varnish are equally effective.

I keep reading such allusions that one shouldn`t touch Humbrol`s Metalcote because you leave fingerprints or because it lifts. But, to what extent is this true? Certain parts of the model would require another layer of paint (tail, nose etc.) for the colour scheme. Also, how do you accentuate the panel lines on the metalcoted model? Regular acrylic wash? Should one use gloss varnish before that? The metalcote looks pretty shiny on its own, but if it`s fragile...