The RoKAF Black Eagles

RKoAF Black Eagles

The Black Eagles Aerobatic Team is making its first appearance at events in Europe. RAF Waddington was the opening show and first occasion for UK airshow goers to marvel at this fantastic display team. A mammoth logistical exercise has seen its aircraft air-freighted from Korea to Manchester Airport in Korean Airlines Boeing 747s, then transported by road to RAF Leeming where they were reassembled and test flown, before moving on to RAF Waddington. Officially the 239th Special Flying Sqn in the RoKAF, the team is collocated with the 8th Fighter Wing at Wonju AB near Hoengseong. The team flies the KIA T-50B Golden Eagle, an indigenous fighter designed in cooperation with the US firm Lockheed. Indeed from most angles the T-50 looks like an F-16 perhaps crossed with a BAe Hawk!

Formed on 12 Dec 1994, with six Cessna A-37B Dragonflys, the team lasted until 2007, before being disbanded temporarily pending the arrival of the new T-50 Golden Eagle which was delivered in 2010. Eight Golden Eagles are flown by the team with two aircraft as airspares. Their display consists of no less than 30 manoeuvres and they have 3 aerial routines depending on weather conditions. With the power of a modern jet fighter, the display reminds me of the best of the USAF Thunderbirds combined with the precision and panache of the likes of the Red Arrows. I was indeed fortunate to spend part of the Waddington weekend in the company of the Black Eagles pilots and support staffs where I managed to obtain a number of the accompanying photos ‘airside’.

Many would surely agree they were one of the start items at Waddington 2012. If you missed them they’re at Fairford for RIAT over the weekend of July 7th/8th.

The 2012 RoKAF Black Eagles led by Lt Col Kin (second for left)

black2.jpg

black1.jpg

black3.jpg

block11.jpg

block9.jpg

block10.jpg

black6.jpg

black11.jpg

black7.jpg

black13.jpg

block8.jpg

black5.jpg

Thanks for looking, c&c always welcome.

Mark

Brilliant photos....I wish I had known they were transported and assembled at Leeming, missed that one.

Anyway I did manage to see them at Waddington and they were good.

Do you know if they will be returning to Leeming after Fairford?

Lovely set of shots Mark, you were very lucky to be able to see them up so close. I met one or two of the crews in the crowd and they seemed very friendly and welcoming even though English wasn't their strong point! The display was awesome, one of the best aerobatic demonstrations I've seen in a very long time.

All the best

AC

Gents

Many thanks for the kind words. Hope some more of you get to see this fantastic display at RIAT providing the weather plays ball!

Mark

Great shots! :speak_cool:

My favourite team used to be the Frecce Tricolori, but after Waddington, I have changed my allegiance to the Black Eagles! I am looking forward to seeing them again at RIAT (despite the weather forecast!)

I bought the Academy 1/48 kit of the T-50, which looks really good.