A&AEE F-4 Phantom Raspberry Ripple Colours

andwhiteley

Hi,

Just trying to get back into model making and decided to have a go at the Fujimi 25th Ann A&AEE. Anyone got any suggestions for the Rasberry Ripple colours.

Thanks

If you decide on the Static version as seen at Greenham Common to celebrate 25 yrs of the Toom

You can add ALL the decals/markings to it. BUT

If like Entlims pic (poss leaving BD or GC?) then only a ltd no of decals mks can be applied as for the Airshow temp sticker type mks were applied and then removed for her return to BD.

Adrian

Oxford Blue and Signal Red - Humbrol and Xtracolor/Xtracrylix do them

There's not an Oxford Blue in the Xtracrylic range Dave, though their Xtracolor O.Blue looks pretty good to me. I've a Raspberry Ripple Canberra in the to do pile, and I'm planning on using Citadel's "Blood Red" which really looks the part (I sometimes think that the Xtracolor/Xtracrylic Signal Red/"Red Arrows Red!" is just a bit too orange.......)

Worth remembering that photo reproduction can be a bit subjective colours-wise. Signal Red (Red Arrows Red) is quite orange-ish but only in comparison to Post Office Red. Also worth remembering that on the ripple Phantom (as with all other "ripples") the roundel/fin flash red is still the darker shade.

If you're aiming for standard A&AEE markings and you ain't gonna do the whole Wilf Hardy sticky-back plastic circus clown, you'd have to make yourself an A Sqn badge for the fin. Wish somebody would do this as a decal so I can use it on a Phantom and a Buccaneer. If any decal manufactuer fancies a go, let me know - I've got a close-up photo of the badge!

PS - anyone ever find a photo of said machine when it had the airspeed calibration nose fitted? It had two interchangeable noses but it only ever seemed to get photographed with the stubby Tacan nose once it was painted up in ripple colours.

Edited by Tim

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh welcome to my world. Currently on UK ebay is a Fujimi 1/72 Anniversary Phantom up for grabs. As mentioned the decals were removed fairly quickly after the event. I have a few magazines with the "other" nose on, but don't have any scanning equip to put the photo on. How ever the Phantom just happens to be at the BD museum with the other nose, might be able to take some sneaky photos!!!. I've got both the Anniversary jobbie and the Yellow bird Fujimi item, which eventually will be in her pre-ripple days.............If i can be of any help let me know, as BD stuff is my bag.

Speedy, if you ever get a chance to snap the a/c in the museum, or scan any shots, do let me know as I'd love to see a shot of her with the other nose. When I (finally) get around to doing a model, I want to build it with the pointy nose, but so far the only photo I've got is when she was grey with a red tail grrr!

Speedy, if you ever get a chance to snap the a/c in the museum, or scan any shots, do let me know as I'd love to see a shot of her with the other nose. When I (finally) get around to doing a model, I want to build it with the pointy nose, but so far the only photo I've got is when she was grey with a red tail grrr!

Tim

Send me your email addy in a pm

I have scanned a pic that shows her with the pointy nose you require :rolleyes:

HTH

Adrian

Thanks for the photo - that's an even older image than the one I had, before the tail went red! If anyone spots a picture of her in the ripple scheme but with the probe fitted, do please let me know. Okay, she's in the Boscombe Museum with the pointy nose fitted but I'm sarting to wonder whether the probed nose was ever carried at any stage after the ripple paint was applied. Unless anyone spots a photo to indicate the contrary, I'm thinking that the stubby nose must have remained in use throughout this period?

Edited by Tim

I've done some home work over the weekend. XT597 was in Naval colours for a good while, it replaced the Red/White Javelin. It carried a red fin and some red markings on the wing tips. It had the probe on the nose to calibrate speed and height. She was sent to St Athan for rippling prior to Greenham Common airshow (83?). She returned to Boscombe where all the anniversary decals were applied then flown to GC. On return all the decals were removed, but curiously the Lettering in front of the intakes was removed AT GC before flying back to B-D. My contact said in all his time he did see the rippled Phantom with the nose probe fitted, but it never flew (just being towed around the station). The engineers fitted it when it was required, and after it was rippled he was adamant it did not fly with the probe fitted. So it was only flown when in the Navy colours. I have taken measurements and will do a drawing and send it to you. Can you give me your email and i'll pass it on unless anybody else wants it?