Big Bucc - 1/24th

It's a remarkable build made from nothing. A very ambitious project, especially given the very complex and very well known curves of the Buccaneer. If there had been anything wrong with the shape this audience would have been onto it like a shot.

But you asked for criticism. As she stands, your model reminds me of those fibreglass aircraft models we used to see in recruiting offices and travel agents. Good in shape but somehow 'lifeless', if you know what I mean. You have, of course, incorporated a much higher level of detail throughout the build so why does it lack animation? I think it's the smooth evenly painted and spotlessly clean surface.

The Bucc was a dirty, brutal great beast, and I think some panel lines, rivets, and weathering would complete the superb construction and turn it into something truly memorable. Perhaps it's not too late? You can keep the WIP thread running for another couple of months that way too so we will all benefit! :)

Yes, I certainly agree that there is more that could done to bring a sense of 'life' to the model. As it stands, I haven't scribed any panel lines etc, concentrating in this instance on trying to capture the subtleties of shape, so I hope I've done the Buccaneer justice in that sense. If that's the case then I've achieved pretty much what I set out to do with this first build and climbed a steep learning curve too. The lessons learned will hopefully be carried forward to build #2. I'm considering doing an S2 with the white antiflash undersides where panel lines and weathering will be more obvious if they're absent. That should spur me on to make some templates for scribing around. And when I come to doing a desert scheme, I'll have to drag it through a hedge!

But back to this build - I hope that with the detailing that I have done, and with the decals applied, it will look 'busy' enough in the flesh despite the absence of scribing and weathering. I hope to take it to the Kinloss and Forres modelling club on Feb. 17th for some further constructive criticism.

So, thanks for the comments and I'll certainly take your suggestions forward on Bucc #2.

Wowza!!

Do you think you could turn this into a kit?

Although I have moulds for virtually all the parts, the parts still need some work to get them to fit well and I want to organise some PE parts too. Let me do another couple first, with a full and frank description of the build process so anyone unhinged enough to take it on will properly understand what's involved and what they'd actually get. At that point, if there's still a demand for a kit, I'll seriously consider it but it seems a bit ambitious at the moment. Plus, I have no idea what a realistic price would be. I'll probably offer this first build on Ebay just to see what happens.

So, please bear with me and we'll see what happens.

Scratcher, although Don is right (how do he do that?) about the look of this one I'd back off from too much detail at first.

See what the guys at Kinloss say, for me the Bucc is just fine by "existing"

It has been a wonderful lesson in scratch building and I say that having almost worn out the tee shirt back in the eighties, thanks for letting us ride along

Bill

I'll put my name down for a kit also if you decide to offer them, I am used to building vacs (the old ID kits) with no detail sets so your Bucc is a huge leap forward plus it looks stunning.

Graham

I'll probably offer this first build on Ebay just to see what happens.

If everyone on here is after it on e.bay I reckon you will make a tidy sum Scratcher.

Hugh.

If you do sell it that way, I'd be fascinated to hear how much you raise. It does seem a bit of a shame to flog it (and that from the most unsentimental modeller you ever met) but there can't be room in the house for many like that. It must be three feet long!

Come on Scratcher...Get the markings on!!!....No pressure mate!! lol lol

I'm waiting for a delivery of some clear laquer and the decals. Paul of Parkes682Decals is working on the decals at the moment, and he tells me he's done all the larger ones and is working on the small ones, of which there are quite a few. I don't want to press him as I can't do anything until I've laquered the model first. I'm sure he's working as fast as care and accuracy will allow!

So, patience my boy, patience....

Edited by Scratcher

I'm waiting for a delivery of some clear laquer and the decals. Paul of Parkes682Decals is working on the decals at the moment, and he tells me he's done all the larger ones and is working on the small ones, of which there are quite a few. I don't want to press him as I can't do anything until I've laquered the model first. I'm sure he's working as fast as care and accuracy will allow!

So, patience my boy, patience....

Hi Stuart

Have a look in my section,working on the small ones photo's enclosed

Paul