Albatross kits

SirBonealot

In 1/48, the old MPM kit is the only game in town as far as I know. It can be built up into a beautiful model, but by all accounts I've read, is pretty rough straight from the box and will make you work to get the best from it.

In 1/72, Eduard is the only way to go. Their Albatros kits are lovely and vice free to build in either the Profipack, with PE parts, or the stripped down Weekend Edition boxings.

Kopro made a 1/72 Albatros, but it's old, crude and doesn't hold a candle to the Eduard kit. It certainly is not one of Kopro's better efforts.

If you really want to get small (Say build the whole Breitling team in formation) you could try to get your hands on Attack Models' 1/144 Albatros kit. It's tiny, but certainly a more than adequate representation of the aircraft for the scale.

I'm not aware of the Albatros being kitted in larger than 1/48 scale.

Hope that's helpful.

In 1/48, the old MPM kit is the only game in town as far as I know. It can be built up into a beautiful model, but by all accounts I've read, is pretty rough straight from the box and will make you work to get the best from it.

In 1/72, Eduard is the only way to go. Their Albatros kits are lovely and vice free to build in either the Profipack, with PE parts, or the stripped down Weekend Edition boxings.

Kopro made a 1/72 Albatros, but it's old, crude and doesn't hold a candle to the Eduard kit. It certainly is not one of Kopro's better efforts.

That what I would have said also.

There is a really nice 1/32 resin kit of the L-39 Albatros. It was originally released by Replicast (the version I have) and then re-released by someone else (Collect-Aire ?).

I am in agreement with the general comments that everyone has made on the relative merits of the different L-39 kits. However, the KP kit can be made up into a reasonable representation of the Albatros with a little care and some aftermarket parts like the Pavla interior if so desired. I did this combo before the Eduard kit was released and will likely finish off a few more KP kits that are in my stash. I am not sure what they cost across the pond but I was able to pick up 3 or 4 of them for about $1 USD each at various model shows (vendors) after the Eduard kit came out.

Here's a photo of my KP Albatros kit in progress. I thought I had shot a few photos of the completed build, but they are not to be found! It is nowhere as good as the Eduard kit but not a bad base for practicing on a L-39 for different schemes.

KPL39inprogress030505.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

The Eduard kit is $75, which seems very expensive for a 1/72. Is it worth it though?

The MPM kit is very cheap though, probably because its hard work, so you pay for what you get really.

This will only be my 3rd kit after a 12 year break so I doubt id be able to do it justice so might leave it for the time being and give it a go when im ok at building.

75$ ?? Where did you see that price ???

The kit used to cost under 10 euro, and the dual combo with 2 kits was around 18.

Eduard site shows a dual combo box for 25 $. IIRC this boxing has decals for the breitling livery. I don't know if the price includes VAT or not though.

Hannants are advertising the Eduard Profi-pack L39 C for about £15 IIRC.

Its a very nice kit.

Darren

It's a new 2010-reedition with updated PE parts, czech preview: http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/view.php?cis...anku=2010040020

Original releases was cheaper.

new profipack: http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_...p;page_start=10

old profipack: http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_...p;page_start=10

ZA version: http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_...p;page_start=10