Compressor Advice Required

Wezra

Right,

I've finally decided to get myself a compressor, I'm gonna get it through the business, that way I can afford it and get the VAT back. I definitely need a compressor for cleaning out repaired Printers and PC's don't I :innocent::spudniksmurf:

Anyhoo, enough of the financials.

I've got my eye on two Iwata based compressors. Does anyone have any experience with them? The two I'm looking at are

Iwata Studio Series Sprint Jet compressor £199.99

or the

Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet Pro compressor £249.99

Both look to be good compressors, I saw the Sprint Jet in action at the MK show back in Feb, though little cars wanted a far amount of money for it then and there which was somewhat tricky. Seemed a compact little unit and very very quiet. Both come with Pressure Regulators, moisture traps, working pressure from 1 to 35 PSI (more than enough I reckon). The only features I think between the two are the casing around the smart jet, and the smart switch off/on system which possibly reduces wear and life (seems gimmicky to me though, any thoughts?)

In terms of compatibility with airbrushes? I should have no probs there should I? I currently have a Tamiya HG Airbrush II which I think uses the standard 1/8" linkage. Though from what I am told, Tamiya & GSI airbrushes are manufactured by BB Rich who also manufacture Iwata brushes so the two are interchangeable.

I would like to get a H&S Revolution, heard nothing but good things about them. Would they be compatible, do they have a quick release system similar to Iwata?

Lots of questions I know :) But when about to lump out £200+ like to know I'm not buying a duffer!

All the best

Matt

Matt, i got a brand new 6L compressor at a boot fair for £45 incl a moisture trap.

If i were you i wouldn't personally fork out so much dosh.

Why don;t you have a look on Ebay, i'm sure you'll get something nice and cheaper :thumbsup2:

Just my tuppence

I can't comment on the Iwata compressors, but you might also wany to consider these (and no I don't have anything to do with the company).

I recently bought the GP Plus and am very pleased with it. Quiet, switches itself off once the pressure has been reached, and only comes back on when the pressure drops. 2 off takes, if you need them

I have a SilAir 15A, which was about £175 from Maywood Garage Equipment. It's a boxed compressor with a 0.5l tank (enough to get rid of pulsing), capable of 0-55psi IIRC, comes with a regulator & moisture trap, and is almost totally silent! :o I forget it's on most of the time.

If you get anything loud, you'll regret it, as it'll drive you insane eventually :wacko:

That's MY tuppence ;)

Compressor w/Air Tank/Reg & M.Trap for 160 not bad :winkgrin:

I have been using these for years ( I have two ) no fuss 3.5l tank and the only thing that has gone wrong is the bearings which only costs a fiver and ten minutes to fix.

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=T-RC...mp;Category=140

I use the second of those shown in Roland's link, and it does all I need and more. Powerful, reliable, quiet (I can hear a FM raido, located about 10 ft away, at normal volume, with the compressor on) comes with moisture trap and pressure gauge. I don't miss the lack of a reservoir tank.

That said, at the price, Neil's Revell compessor looks excellent value. You might want to check that Wonderland actually have it in stock, though. Not everythng on their website is.

Concur on the importance of quietness. My first compressor made enough racket to raise the roof, and did not make me popular with the rest of the family!

Cheers,

Chris.

Models for sale, have it in stock for 180 http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/index...th=25_259999111

I have a Sprint Jet that I bought off Cammett, at the Yeovilton show, about 2 years ago. It works just fine. Sits there on the floor and gets switched on for 5-10mins at irregular intervals with no problems so far. As a low rate user it is more than enough, but I got it because it had had good US write ups and seemed like it would take more use than I would give it.

cheers

Grant

Ok, this is interesting to me as I'll be splashing out on a compressor & airbrush some time in the next two/three weeks.

Looking at what has already been posted the Ripmax and Revell seem more than suitable, but how much of a difference does having an air tank on the compressor make? Presume it has something to do with producing an even flow of air to the airbrush

As a beginner and it'll be for occasional use, would the Revell Standard Class be more than suitable, OR would the Ripmax / Revell Master Class be a better choice. I have my eyes set on a Iwata Eclipse BS or CS airbrush, so spending as little as I can practicably get away with on a compressor would be a bonus. It would also give me more money to spend on tools etc...

hey Matt.

I've got an Iwata Sprint Jet and it works very well, it's quiet, reliable and does the job...and to echo the comments about noise...spot on, a noisy one will just ruin the whole task of painting, which should be a cool, calm and a zen-like transendental experience...not a blood curdling bout of screaming at your compressor to "Shut the F**K UP!!!"...trust me...been there...bought the ear plugs!...:D

oh yeah...and you can get little adaptors to fit just about any hose to any airbrush, that's never going to be a worry.

Guest Hunter

I'm also looking to purchase a compressor in the near future, cant afford anything over expensive for a while, so was looking at these on Ebay.

Here

And here

What do you guys think of those? they are not supposed to be too noisy?

At around 55db, they can hardly be classed as "quiet" or "ultra quiet"... they're more like "bearable", "where's my earplugs?" or "what did you say?".... 40psi is adequate for use with an airbrush, but for some unknown reason I wanted one that'd do over 50psi.. no idea why - just seemed like a good number, and gave me a decent margin for error.

They're fairly cheap, but not as cheap as they first look when you add the £12 postage. They ARE heavy though - it's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Guest Hunter

Ta, will be moving sometime in the near future, plan to do airbrushing in the garage at the new place, so noise wouldn't be too much of a problem, might just go for one of them, I'm still on aircans unfortunately!

Ta, will be moving sometime in the near future, plan to do airbrushing in the garage at the new place, so noise wouldn't be too much of a problem, might just go for one of them, I'm still on aircans unfortunately!

The person that the noise MAY be a problem for, is you.... depends on how long & how frequent your spraying sessions are, and how tolerant you are of noise. I model with music on, so noise is a pain. I've also got a low threshold for irritation when there's an unwanted background noise, and my Dad suffers from tinitus after using construction machinery all his working life, so I'm trying to avoid that :headphones:

Guest Hunter
The person that the noise MAY be a problem for, is you.... depends on how long & how frequent your spraying sessions are, and how tolerant you are of noise. I model with music on, so noise is a pain. I've also got a low threshold for irritation when there's an unwanted background noise, and my Dad suffers from tinitus after using construction machinery all his working life, so I'm trying to avoid that :headphones:

Good point, but having worked most of my life in heavy engineering my hearings a bit knackered anyway! but I wont be doing that much spraying ... I guess? and would wear hearing protection and a respirator of course.

So otherwise, you think they would be fine?

Good point, but having worked most of my life in heavy engineering my hearings a bit knackered anyway! but I wont be doing that much spraying ... I guess? and would wear hearing protection and a respirator of course.

So otherwise, you think they would be fine?

I'm sure it'll be ok, as long as it comes with a 12 months guarantee... just check the connection on your airbrush hose, and be prepared to shell out some cash for a new hose and possibly an adapter if necessary. Also, when you attach your hose to the compressor, wind some plumbers' PTFE tape round the thread to help seal the gap.

Ordered one of the above along with an Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush, braided hose and some other bits and bobs. Now to spend the rest of this lifetime trying to become proficient with an airbrush :)

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Apr 20 2007, 10:24 AM)
Ordered one of the above along with an Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush, braided hose and some other bits and bobs. Now to spend the rest of this lifetime trying to become proficient with an airbrush :)

You & the rest of us! :lol: