Crowood Beaufighter book

Hello, does anyone have a copy of the Crowood title on the Beaufighter? If you have can you tell me if there are any pictures of post-war aircraft based in Malaya? Any help greatfully appreciated, need to know before I buy one for my decal research! If anyone has any pics of postwar Beauifghters in other books please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

I have this one Colin.

Only four pics of Beaus in Malaya during Firedog, all of which I had seen before. RD80f OB.J in what I would call transitional markings - type C roundels and camouflage; RD816 OB,O in cam and post war roundels; RD819/F and RD857/R in grey and black. Several shots of the target tug variant.

I bought this book not long ago as I though it was one of the better books in the Crowood series.

The usual photos are in the SAMI Datafile and in the Warpaint. Very little in the "In Action".

There are some photos in CG Jefford's 'Flying Camels', the history of 45 Squadron. If I could find where it is hiding in the tip that currently passes for my office at home, I'd be able to give some more details...

I have the Beaufighter in Focus book by Simon Parry.

There are two pics of Beaufighters post 1945.One of RD824 OB-K circa 1947 in what looks to be wartime camouflage with tailband and one of RD819 OB-F circa 1948.Both have C type roundels.

Stephen

Having found Jefford, the following photos appear -

RD776 Code OB-B in overall silver with what appear to be black spinners on the props;

RD830/OB-A in what appears to be wartime camo

RD824/OB-K in camo and with a white band around the fuselage (butting up against the tailplane)

RD777/OB-C in camo and with the tail band

RD805/OB-J as OB-C

RD784/OB-Z. Photo appears to suggest upper surfaces in single colour (Dark Sea Grey?) with white codes; but without the white tail band; this gained the name 'Winnie the Pooh' on the port nose

Since I'm no expert on cam colours, and given that an attempt at scanning the photos seems to make it almost impossible to spot the colours, I'd suggest that it might be an idea if you try to get the book on inter-library loan, Colin, rather than risk me giving false steers. The details for this are:

Author: CG Jefford

Title: The Flying Camels: the History of No. 45 Sqn, RAF (abbreviation is in subtitle of book, not done by me)

Publisher: CG Jefford

ISBN: 0 9526290 0 3

Chapters 13 and 14 will be the ones you want. It also occurs to me that Don Neate's 'Scorpions Sting', the history of 84 Sqn, ought to have some photos of Beaus in it as well. The Beaus used by 45 Sqn included some transferred over from 84, and these airframes were given white code letters at the end of the alphabet, rather than 45 Sqn's usual black code letters.

I've got the Air Britain 84 Sqn book. I'll have a look over the weekend and get back to you.

Colin,

Not got around to answering your PM yet - was about to do so, but something work-related got in the way. Sorry about that - will get scanning tomorrow.

Thanks for the scan, not seen that before. No problem about delay, I had to work all weekend to cover short notice sickness so I know work related stuff getting in the way!

Colin

Can't help much with 84 Sqn, but have found my Air-Britain book of 45 Sqn Beau's in Ceylon and then Malaya. There are shots of various camo schemes plus some nose art ('Winnie the Pooh' and squadron badge). 45 Sqn took over some of 84 Sqn's aircraft when they arrived, as well as bringing some of their own, so there are 'unusual' fuselage code layouts as well. Can't scan in I'm afraid but can try to photocopy if wanted?

Just noticed this is the same book as XV107 mentioned above (sorry mate :confused: ). If you can't find it in the library my offer still stands.