'Navalised' Meteor

I am suffering from modellers block and just can't get interested in building anything. My Canberra is stalled, as I want to revise quite a bit of it, so I decided to do something 'nearly' OOB.

I've had it lying around for a while, as it was an accidental purchase :blush: .

So what better to do than a kit that builds itself OOB for that block.

The obligatory Box and sprue shot!

_DSC2252.jpg

After a couple of hours sticking bits together I now have this.

_DSC2253.jpg

_DSC2256.jpg

It wasn't quite the fit and forget I was hoping for, but still pretty darn good. The only area that was quite a bit out is behind the cockpit insert, as can be seen in the following image. I have masked off with something called 'Flash tape' which is resistant to almost everything, as I'm trying to keep sanding to a minimum.

_DSC2258.jpg

The insert will be removed and the cockpit tub inserted once I have managed to find refs for the F.3. That's the only area that I feel needs a bit of tweaking, hence 'nearly OOB'.

Next stage Engines, then I can close the panels up.

Not sure about the scheme yet, as I don't want to use the kit decals which appear to be made from 'lino'. Any suggestions here appreciated, test colours would be nice, but I guess no F.3's were done in a colourful scheme?

rich :frantic:

Edited by richc

:analintruder:

You wait until Mike R sees that.

rich :tomato:

Mois scared?

Je suis un homme de la patience mon ami.

Mssr Reeves needs la extraction de la digit! :winkgrin:

Edited by PHREAK

• 1 month later...

Right time for a small update:

Some of you may have seen the model at Avon, so at least it is real and progressing, albeit slowly.

Thanks to Edgar providing me with some F.3 and F.4 info I have been able to do a lot more in the cockpit :worthy: . it's all scratch, as I wanted to avoid a/m stuff, which in this case is just as well, because I have no idea where Eduard got their info, but it wasn't from an F.3! :suicide:

just a couple of pics to show progress, and only the PORT side is done so far:

cock2.jpg

cock1.jpg

Any comments good or bad welcome :lol: .

cheers

rich :frantic:

edited due to inability to work out Port from Stbd

Edited by richc

Not sure about the scheme yet, as I don't want to use the kit decals which appear to be made from 'lino'. Any suggestions here appreciated, test colours would be nice, but I guess no F.3's were done in a colourful scheme?

What about the Sea Meteor in EDSG/Sky?

Pretty impressive stuff, Rich - coming from a man who doesn't know his port side from his starboard! :winkgrin:

How did you get all that in the cockpit with the fuselage halves already together? And more importantly, how are you going to paint it?

I take it you don't need me to infiltrate the Midland Air Museum's example now then...

Looking good,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

Thanks Mike and PHREAK

What about the Sea Meteor in EDSG/Sky?

I did consider it, but I have no image to go by and I don't want to start adding an arrestor hook now.

Pretty impressive stuff, Rich - coming from a man who doesn't know his port side from his starboard! :winkgrin:

How did you get all that in the cockpit with the fuselage halves already together? And more importantly, how are you going to paint it?

I take it you don't need me to infiltrate the Midland Air Museum's example now then...

Looking good,

Dean

DOH! :doh: , put it down to a senior moment and thanks for the comments. The top of the fuselage is still removable, so It will be all dismantled and painted out of the a/c. No I don't need you to raid the MAM one, but thanks for the offer.

:frantic:

rich

The following two pics show the cockpit finally completed. There are a couple of minor dangly bits missing, but I've had enough and just want to get some paint on.

2a.jpg

1-2.jpg

It's not until you take macro shots, you realise how rough some of the detail is :oops: .

The advice I need is the best way to go about painting a completely black cockpit and keep some interest! Do I paint very dark grey, black wash then some highlighting, or do i go for black and just highlight? Something I've noticed on all the older a/c I've seen, is years of dust build up in recesses. This is actually the opposite of running a dark wash in, as the dust is usually pretty light, how on earth do I go about this, and do I do a dark wash then a light wash?

HELP needed from cockpit painting gurus.

rich :hanging:

I'm not professing to being a guru, but I'd say dark grey, then black wash, then highlight. After that, I'd think about running in some Mig dust colored pigments wetted with thinner for washes. once that's dry, you can push them about a bit with a stiff brush until you like how it looks. HTH :)

That's looking V nice Mr Rich... If you think you've overdone the dry brushing, I sometimes find that another coat of wash tones it down a bit :) I don't think there's need though :shrug:

what is the brass pipework, is it canopy and screen demist?

Hi Tony

I think so, is all I can say. It's shown very clearly in the F.3 pilots notes. In the pics Edgar provided it is also visible, but appeared to have changed routing a bit in the F.4. I just went with the pilots notes, as I'm no Meteor eggspurt.

Rich

Edited by richc