Messerschmitt Bf109 F-2 - 1/72 Revell (Zvezda)

My latest completion: the Bf109 F-2 Revell reboxing of the Zvezda "easy assembly" kit. Made OOTB, brush painted with Revell aqua acrylics.

One of my objectives was to have a go at a splinter camo paint job.

Kit went together easy enough, after filling some fairly big sink marks on the wings.

Painting started out well, then for some reason had difficulty getting the dark green down. Looked like a toddler's felt tip drawing for a good while. Then came the 'weathering', which consisted of daubing too much oil wash on and struggling to get most of it rubbed off. Oh well, I'll know better for next time...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 16

It doesn't look at all bad in the pictures on my laptop. I've seen worse. A lot of it on my builds! It's all a big learning curve anyway.

I can't say I've ever seen those Rudder markings before. And no Swastika's looks a bit odd.

Nice little 109 you made there.  Prior to using the oils, did you put down a gloss clear coat on the kit surface?  If not, try it next time as it will help the oils flow where you want them to flow and removal of errant streams that don't need to stay.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next kit.

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Prior to using the oils, did you put down a gloss clear coat on the kit surface? 

Yep, did a gloss coat after (and before) applying decals. Think I got caught out by the oils seeming to dry almost instantly. Applied them with lighter fluid and my mix was probably on the thick side.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I can't say I've ever seen those Rudder markings before. And no Swastika's looks a bit odd.

I could maybe add some later. This being my first Luftwaffe build I have no spares for the minute.

Thanks for looking 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YorkshireT said:

Think I got caught out by the oils seeming to dry almost instantly. Applied them with lighter fluid and my mix was probably on the thick side.

Use a very thin wash, and push it about with a brush dipped in clean lighter fuel, try streaking with airflow.  Will remove the wash even if apparently dry.

Even if you remove almost all of it, the little left will modulate the finish subtly and breaks the surface up is my experience.

Dirty grey is good, burnt umber, dash of black and white. 

Burnt umber and black for deeper crevices.

neat oils streaked with LF is good for oil leaks blown back by airflow.   

HTH

• Like 4