Fujimi F-86F Mig Killer Questions

Hello everyone,

Sorry its been a while since I posted as life has been really busy (in a great way).  That said, I ran into a great deal of trouble with the Academy F-86F that I had been working on given previous advice kindly provided by @Sabrejet & @72modeler that the wings and overall kit Academy were pretty good.  The trouble I ran into with the Academy kit had really nothing to do with the kit, I basically had a mess on my hand when it got dropped, and the seams cracked, which then led to further issues when I tried to restore the finish, use differnt color base coats and the like). 

With that, I found found the F-86F Mig Keller by Fujimi and decided to replace the Academy F-86 with this given the discussion below in my quest to add "The Huff" to my collection.  Given reviews, I felt the Fujimi kit would have finer detail as I felt the detail on Academy's wing in particular was a little soft and liked the full trunking in the Fujimi kit.

I got a little bit lost in the detailed coverage of the both the North American and Canadaire Sabres.  Basically, I wanted to confirm the following for a Korean War F-86F:

- Is the Fujimi Wing in the Mig Killer Box accurate for a Korean War hard wing F-86F like the "The Huff"--any thing I need to fix on it (I understand the wing in the Mig Killer box is different than the wing in Fujimi's JASDF tooling for the block 40 and later--I believe the JSADF dash 40 F Wing is longer, lacks a fence and slotted compared to a Korean War F-86F dash 30 wing)

- I understand there is an engine scoop on the rear of the Fujimi fuselage which was typical of Mitsubishi built (upgraded?) machines--do I need to remove this for Korean War Saber like the Huff

- I read a lot about the Fujimi (and Academy) air breaks being too square--would anyone be willing to show/link a pic of how?  Sorry if I missed an example on the thread

- Tracking the Huff likely had a black cockpit, interior green wheel wells, air break wells/interior.  Is it true that F-86 ejection seat headrests could be black, red, or olive green?

- Finally advice on what Alclad or AK Xtreme metal colors to use on my Saber would be most welcome as this is one my first NMF aircraft using these paints. I have decided to stick with Tamiya Gloss black as primer)  

- Anything I am missing beside not hanging side winders on this aircraft 😉 

Thank you for reviewing and any suggestions folks might have

Best,

Erwin 

Fujimi make both a F30 hard wing and an F40 longer slatted wing in their kits, I seem to recall this boxing having the 6-3 hard wing with the fence this is the Wing The Huff had but there were sabres in korea with the ealier wing.

The Fujimi kit is a fundamentally good one as ive built a few. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Erwin,

1. The Fujimi "Mig Killer" kit is Ok for "The Huff".

2. I'm not sure if the intake is present on the "MiG Killer" kit but it's arrowed below. It's a TACAN cooling intake, and not unique to Japanese aircraft but those equipped with TACAN. Delete it!

003 (4)

3. Air brakes are too square - photo above shows how I fix it by adding a plastic wedge and then sanding it flush to the fuselage contour.

4. Yes black cockpit, interior green wheel wells, air brake wells and panel interiors.  Seat headrest for The Huff was dark brown/black.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@Sabrejet--my man! 

That pic of the square air break is like a thousand words!  Thank you so much.  On the pic just above the TACAN intake it looks like there are 2 other intakes on the same panel--do those go too?  I am thinking the rear fuselage is pretty clean on dash 30 Saber.

I got to ask give your deep bench of knowledge on this aircraft--any thoughts on XTreme metal or AL Clad colors for an F-86F in Korea.  No worries if you dont have time--the above is so helpful and energizing given the issues I created with my Academy kit. 

Thank you so much!

Best, Erwin 

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan

Those two vents are OK: keep them!

I haven't used those paints but use Mr Color Silver with various proportions of black and white to do various shades on NMF schemes. This is my TF-86 using this method:

007 (2)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish I could be precise, but it's Mr Color Silver with Mr Color White and I'm guessing at about 10% white. However I go by the "that looks about right" school of paint mixing!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

First, thanks for all the great information above.  As I work on my research, I thought I would another two F-86F questions given all the amazing information I have learned here and think the answers might be of interest to the community.   Apologies if these answers are readily available and I missed them.

I understand that F-86F cockpits were by an large overall black during the Korean War.  In looking at the F-86As at the USAF museum and Smithsonian, I think the CM A-1 box underneath the gun sight would be Interior Green or Olive Drab.  Would this piece of electrical equipment that is ahead of the instrument panel underneath the sighting glass black or an olive color in an F-86F?  Hopefully the link to the to the Smithsonian's F-86A cockpit below works.  As mentioned by @Sabrejet in another thread, I think the F-86As at the museums were upgraded with radar gunsights similar to Es and Fs since they have metal intakes vice the earlier fiber class ones.  Apologize if I misunderstood

https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/10106pjpg

Also, regarding the top of the tail fin.  Was this metal, painted fiberglass or combination on an F-86F?  Everytime I think I have it figured out, I discover something that makes me change my mind.

Thank you all for your generous help and time

Hope all is well

Erwin 

The part you mention (A4 gunsight) would be black. Even on aircraft with 'grey' cockpits it would still be black. Tail fin is a mix of metallic and fibreglass.

Posted (edited)

@Sabrejet, thank you so much—you can’t make it clearer than that.  One last question if I may on the tail fin.  Is it more than likely the fiberglass areas were painted aluminum, or were they a light aircraft grey?  Thinking about using Tamiya Flat Aluminum (airbrushed from the acrylic range) to replicate a painted look (if they were painted) against a NMF created by Al Clads, Xtreme Metal, and Mr Color Silver (I am going to try your technique for the center wing highlighted above).  Thanks again—this is amazing help!  Best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Sabrejet--not only are you an F-86 master, you are da man!  Thank you so much for closing the loop on any question I have on my project and sharing your vast wealth of knowledge for all of us on Britmodeller!  So appreciated!  Best, Erwin 

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Sabrejet , & forum was wondering if I could shake the tree again.  For a Korean War era F-86F, what color would cylinders be in the air break wells—I thought I saw somewhere else on the forum that you said these were light grey.  Would the electrical boxes on the lower left (that’s what I think the are anyway) be interior green?  Thanks for the assist—I have been looking at tons of pics but can’t seem to nail the colors down to satisfaction—thank you for all the inputs so far—your help is so appreciated!  Best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan

Hopefully this schematic will show the detail a bit better. The various hydraulic filters, reservoirs, actuators and accumulators are all anodized aluminium, so a dull silver in colour. The gauge in the RH speed brake well is black-faced and housed an a fairing box which is usually interior green.

img571

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2