84 Squadron Whirlwinds in 1979

Harry Lime

Folks,

I have run into a bit of a brick wall when trying to find images of 84 Squadron's Westland Whirlwind HAR.10's in Cyprus during 1979 and I'm hoping that someone here on Britmodeller can help me out! The usual image sources (ABPics, Airliners.net, Flickr etc.) haven't got any and the 84 Sqn Association website has a couple of dits but no clear images. I've trawled through my library to no avail as well. Anything that shows the serial number and the playing card symbol would be a great help to completing my 1/72 'Front Line 1979' project.

If you'd rather not share images here, please PM me for my email and they will go no further than my hard drive.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Mark.

Harry,

According to my records the following Whirlwind HAR.10s were all assigned to 84 Sqn in 1979 and continued with the sqn until being SOC: XD184 'Clubs'. XK970/P camo, XK986, XP329/V camo, XP345, XP346 and XP398 'Hearts'. Unfortunately I don't know all aircraft that were in camo and which wore the SAR scheme.

Mark

Edited by canberraman
error noted
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JagRigger said:

JagRigger, I'm having a D'oh moment here as I completely forgot that option on that decal sheet. Especially since I had it out a few weeks ago to look over in anticipation of the Italeri re-release of their S-55/H-19 kit.

4 hours ago, petetasker said:

Are you after yellow SAR or the ones in camo? This shots from 'The Good Old Days' Vol 3 The Royal Air Force 1962-1980. 

Pete, nice image, but I should've said the yellow ones in the SAR role.

4 hours ago, canberraman said:

Harry,

According to my records the following Whirlwind HAR.10s were all assigned to 84 Sqn in 1979 and continued with the sqn until being SOC: XD184 'Clubs'. XK970/P camo, XK986, XP329/V camo, XP345, XP346 and XP398 'Hearts'. Unfortunately I don't know all aircraft that were in camo and which wore the SAR scheme.

Mark

Mark, much appreciated. From the image I have of XP346 being towed back along the roads to Akrotiri, I'd say it was 'Spades'. Since your records say XD184 was 'Clubs' that would just about confirm it.

Thank you very much for the replies so far, all very helpful!

Mark.

• Like 1