Dusty the Nighthawk *Finished*

I have been concentrating on finishing off my Canberra in the Frog Squad GB and can now return to Dusty.  I have painted the black, aiming for a patchy, faded look.  First I pre-shaded with matt black, deliberately quite heavy:

53615989878_91127d479e_b.jpg

Then a patchy coat of extra dark sea grey:

53615989683_8ebb8c02cb_b.jpg

Followed by by NATO black and then an overall light misting of extra dark sea grey:

53616233450_ae9de3cefd_b.jpg

I think that has worked, at least I’m happy with it.  It looks a bit light in the photo as it’s in the spray booth under the led lights.  The undersides had a similar treatment without the EDSG, so they are darker, less faded.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 10

That's worked very well, it nicely captures the look of a faded airframe :)

James

A bit of colour on this otherwise dull bird.  Decals on and sealed with a coat of matt varnish:

53618219974_64100c786f_b.jpg

The decals are very thin and had a propensity to fold up and were very difficult to move as they stuck fast on contact.  Fortunately they are also very strong and could be wrestled into position.

While applying the decals I realised that I had not fitted the large carburettor intakes on top of the cowlings :facepalm:.  These have now been painted and will be stuck on at final assembly, the fit being quite good.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

You wouldn't know those decals put up a fight, AW, the look very nice on there

James

Inching toward the finish line, today I did some light weathering, some exhaust staining and chipping, painted the navigation lights and unmasked the transparencies.

53623536522_0b09a53ef0_b.jpg

53623536667_0fa4842037_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

• Andwil changed the title to Dusty the Nighthawk *Finished*

This one is now finished.  Yesterday I stuck the last few bits and pieces on and today I did a bit of paint touching up.  The radar antannas (dipoles?) on the side of the nose were a frustrating pain, being made up of two very delicate pieces that did not want to stick together but were happy to adhere to my fingers, or the tweezers or ping off across my desk etc.  Then one of them broke while I was attempting to clean up the sprue attachment points.  I ended up replacing two of the pieces with thin rod.

53629272180_c30162c589_b.jpg

More pics in the gallery.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the reactions and comments.

AW

• Like 8

That looks very nice, AW. I really like the variation you've got in the black paint. Thanks for joining us and building a superb model :)

James